Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Adri4D, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Adri4D

Adri4D LawnSite Member

:waving: Hi! I am trying to help my boyfriend start a mowing business in Florida and was wondering how I should go about pricing each individual lawn? :blush: Thank you for your help. :D
  2. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

You need to do some research on this site. Priceing in Fl. is different than anywhere else. There are probable 1000 posts here on Fl. priceing.
  3. LawnSite Senior Member

I also see tons of guys mowing out there too...mind you with heat and a lawn owing season I guess they can handle it.
  4. Victo

Victo LawnSite Member

Where in Florida?
  5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

My advice to you is to figure out how much $$ you will be investing ..... try n come to a cost of weekly - monthly expenses ( if your just starting this is fuel, vehicle cost, phone, rent?? (unless at home ....but even this has a cost which needs to be associated with your hourly rate), insurance ?? (if you have it), n other cost such as these)

This will give you a number of say your monthly cost .... now comes some hit or miss as only experience will help to find tune to your true cost ... even using numbers related to yearly hours can change as the structure n growth of the business changes

Any way start with a neutral number .... say 40 hrs per week or 160 per month .... say you had a total monthly cost of $2000 divide by 160 that's $12.50 per hour .... this ONLY covered cost ....nothing with labor or the original investment (equip, truck, etc.) the investment side ....just to get a number going not relating to un-seen issues .... but lets say the equip has a 2000 hr "life span ... spread over 3 years" which averages to 666 hrs of use per year .... let's say that's from an investment of $4000 .... so that cost is an extra $2 per hour .... mind you that number goes up if equip does not make the 2000 hr life .... which most 2 cycle won't ..... but mower should ...n trailer even longer .... as well as most hand equip .... then there is the maintenances of the equip .... which let's just say is another $2k over 3 years or an extra $1 per hour .... soooo now we are at $15.50 per hour n we haven't even paid our selves or made the truck payment

This should get you on the track of how to look at it .... all numbers are variable to what one invest into it or the expectations to get out of it ..... if you are in the $35 per hour range that's a good start for just cutting grass ...not talking landscape or hard-scape

Mind you thou that even at $35 per hour - $15.50 is only $19.00 per hour .... which doesn't include the truck payment, un seen monthly cost, breakage & TAXES ... n these are just play numbers which are based on 40 hrs of work per week or 2000 labor hrs per year ..... which may not be true to your situation

Good Luck