"pride in your work" fact or fiction

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by martinfan06, May 16, 2006.

1. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Im located in c.florida been in and out of biz for 8 yrs worked for major lawn comp.,small comp, owned my own biz for some time. I seen things done that didnt agree with done things didnt agree with(major comp).My question/statement is that seems now a days that people are just out to make the money regardless of the quality. So in turn the costumers have just accepted it??? And i think thats a major problem in the industry. I just hope theres still some people out there who want good quality service at a good price. Not just the cheapest they can get it done!!! Would love to hear you guys comments on this.

2. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

Being in business you know first hand that you come across a wide variety of customers who all want different things-customer a wants it cheep-customer b wants high quality-customer c wants both ect.I believe in doing quality work at a fair price and if that doesn't fit the criteria of some customers then I do not get there work,I am in this for the long haul,thus fair honest prices and solid quality workmanship.:usflag:

3. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

Rich, you beat me to it !! lol good answer!!!
    when im on a job i always think of the property as my own, and after the job is finished i look everything over and think to myself, if i hired someone to do this job, and i got home to see this, would i be happy ??? if yes, then i load up and leave, i no, i fix what bothers me !!

4. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

rich and scag have given the best answer.

I do the same.

kc

5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

ditto for me too.

6. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

THANKS GUYS GOOD TO KNOW THERES PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO TAKE PRIDE IN THERE INDUSTRY ILL BE RIGHT THERE WITH YOU GUYS SOON. THANKS FOR GREAT REPLYS!!!!:clapping:

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

They get what they pay for

8. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Now thats what i agree with

9. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I do good work. I recently fired someone for doing half-assed work. My top guy too. Dummy.

Anyway, the thing is if you chase # of accounts and try to grow too quick, then your quality will suffer. If you only take accounts that want things done right, your # of accts will be lower, but your profitablilty should be higher per acct.

I chose the 40 @ $200 a month route over the 80 @ $100 a month route and life has been so much easier since I made that move.

10. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

pride in your work and quality finished product is the only thing that sets one business apart from another. We're working in upscale subdivisions strictly because the clients knew our work and wanted us above other lcos in the area. I did a quick demographic of our area awhile back and was astounded to find how few people are in our service area and then to compare that to the number of lawncare and landscape businesses both established and start ups. Guys on Lawnsite talk about a service area of a million people; we have 1.5 million in our whole state:laugh: