Prime Time to dethatch, aerate, overseed?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by sulston, Mar 19, 2007.

1. sulston

sulston LawnSite Member

Keep in mind I'm up here in Southern Ontario Canada but what is the very best time to do dethatching, aerating, overseeding in the spring? I know it's probably different for a lot of you guys in Southern U.S. than it is for me but what kind of conditions, soil/air temps etc. should I be waiting for? Thanks a bunch.

2. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

You should wait for the soil to get around 60 deg.to start. thats what i do here in Jersey. Not to sure about Canada.
    -Jay

3. sulston

sulston LawnSite Member

Thanks Jay, is there any special way you go about measuring the soil temp or is it as straightforward as one would think(stick a thermometer into the soil 2 or 3 inches)?

4. Shades of Green LService

That 's for seeding. If you absolutely have to in the spring. I like to do my aerating in the fall with my overseed.
    -Jay

5. Shades of Green LService

6. sulston

sulston LawnSite Member

Thanks again Jay, I'll get me one of those thermometers, and I definitely agree with you, I'd much rather do it in the fall but it's a new customer I just got this year and they'll hear nothing about waiting till the fall, it amazes me how many people don't have the word patience in their vocabulary.

7. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I push aeration year round except dec-feb. We do so many that it is hard to get all of them done at one time. that and it is a excelent time to hard sell durring green up. people are amazed and think the aeration did it all.
    We do very little dethatching but this year with all of the snow mold we are doing a ton.

8. Lawn Care Pros

Lawn Care Pros LawnSite Member

I don't know about Canada, but here in the North East the very best time would be in very late summer or early fall. At that time the grass is best suited to recover from the stresses that these practices put upon it.