Primer and adhesive hazards.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Paradise Yard Service, Feb 4, 2007.

1. A question for the experts. What precautions (if any) do you take with respect to the constant exposure to the primers/adhesives used in irrgation?
    I,ve thought of using some 4-mil nitrile gloves you buy in a box of 100. Cant find anything on the search and don't know if this gets much attention.

2. laylow1994

laylow1994 LawnSite Member

i dont use anything for a precaution with primer or adhesive.... the only thing i use are safety glasses... trust me it sucks when you get some turf-tite blue glue right in your eyeball....

3. zman9119

zman9119 LawnSite Senior Member

As with any products, read and follow the manufactures directions...

You might want to read the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) on their websites. For IPS Weld-On, tryhere. This information will tell you all the hazards (health, fire, anything else).

(Also you should have a copy of these on site per OSHA regulations).

.mz

4. Thanks. I have never used any protection for my hands and have not seen anyone else for that matter.

5. zman9119

zman9119 LawnSite Senior Member

I try to wear gloves and I always wear ANSI rated glasses.

(Hate to put it this way... I have gotten buzzed before when one of the morons I was working with kicked over a can of primer into a trench \ hole. That was a fun day.)

6. Repairs

Repairs LawnSite Member

We buy the Thickster Gloves. They are double thickenss nitrile gloves and it is the only way to go to keep them from tearing. We tried several different cheaper gloves and always had to double up to keep them from tearing. The thicksters can be used multiple times too. They are on ebay, although I cant remember where we bought them, but we bought a case.

7. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Sad to say... we haven't found a synthetic glove that gives both comfort, feel, durability and warmth. Maybe we'll try some of the gloves recommended by others. Currently we just use brown Jersey gloves and glasses. At least the Jersey gloves offer some protection and warmth (during colder weather) and are substantial enough for handling pipe and other parts.

8. No gloves for 25 years......in fact, I love the sting of primer in my cuts.....

9. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Kind of like Robert Duvall's line "I love the smell of napalm in the morning." :)