Primer bulbs don't last..

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Turf Commando, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm on my 3 bulb on br500 use mid grade gas thinking the ethanol is to blame ...
    Anyone else have simular problem?

2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I've just broken the second bulb on my 1.5 year old FS90 just the other day. The dealer just told me not to use it.:hammerhead:

In all honesty though, I just choke it and start it without priming it.

3. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

I use it only when choking doesn't provide results.. My dealer says same thing don't use it....lol

4. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

On my echo trimmer I never use it unless it ran out of has. I have a 210 from early 2000s some where. Same bulb. I have 2 deere back pack blowers from 2006. Same on them never use them
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. rreyn1812

rreyn1812 LawnSite Senior Member

Same here! Last year I had to replace the bulb on 2 trimmers and 1 hand blower. This year I just replaced the second set. Gettin ridiculous! Am going to try Sinclair gas since it is supposed to be ethanol free. Here's hoping!

6. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

Ethanol has nothing.g to do with it. Here in mn we have had a blend for atleast 10 years if I remember correctly. No one around here goes through them either. Don't know why you even use them. As hot as its been you shouldn't have problems starting. My 265 and 230 echo start on first or second pull with choke in early morning then hardly any choke of any later on the day. when in peak season they get started 15-20 times a day.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'm trying out the Stens primers on all of my Stihls. One has been on my edger for about 4 months now. Check back with me next year. My Stihl primer bulbs last about a year.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The primer bulb is the hand held's equivalent of a fuel bowl, we don't actually need to prime it unless there is no fuel in it,
    as a rule the only time it needs priming is if the equipment ran out of fuel.

Now...
    Will it make the bulb last forever, no, but it should last longer.

9. bmc1025

bmc1025 LawnSite Senior Member

+1 The Stens seem to be made of a different material, the Stihl bulbs would get cloudy in a few weeks. The Stens are still clear after 2 months. We are talking about a 2.00 part but it gets annoying when they crack halfway through a season.

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I wonder why they put them on the machines I never had to use them on any Echo 2 stroke piece of equipment? I had one the other day that was all cracked up but the unit was running fine. When I pushed on it it just fell apart.