1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TFL, May 28, 2002.

1. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

I was repainting my trailer. wondering if you guys sand and prime before finish coat or just sand. also wondering if any have put a clear coat for exta protection. i am painting an open trailer.
  2. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, Primer is essential.

Wipe down with mineral spirits before each coat, use a tack cloth if your really picky. Painting is mostly prep work.

I would skip the clear coat, it depends if you are adding lettering.

But i must add, even a crappy paint job looks better than a peeling or rusty unmaintained job. Its a matter of personal preference.
  3. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

Yes I would use primer.

There are three types of primers used when painting. Whenever you take something down to bare metal an expoxy primer should be used to help inhibit rust. If there are a lot of scractches I would use a primer surfacer but this is a lot of work because you must sand everything twice. If you are just wanting to paint a primer on right before you paint then I would just put on a primer sealer.

I didn't think about it but if you are just going to spray bomb it then I would just use the spray bomb primer.

I have never heard of using mineral spirits to get rid of grease and other solvents. I always use a quaility wax and grease remover.
  4. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

If you're doing the whole thing, rent a sandblaster. It's a lot faster and gets any grease etc.. off.
  5. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

got the primer on it looks better than what i had. one more question do you sand the entire trailer after priming or just where the paint ran.
  6. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I would just sand where the paint ran then wipe it down with some wax and grease remover and shoot away.

If you really want to sand it down hit it with some light grit sand paper.