Primo anyone?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by LwnmwrMan22, Apr 12, 2004.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I maintain a school district here in MN. I'm looking for something that I can spray along all the fence lines (about 100,000') to reduce the trimming costs. I figure if there's a product that I could spray every 3-4 weeks with my sprayer, it'll more than make up for "trimmer" costs. Just wondering if anyone's used Primo or the other products for this type of application?

Thanks.

2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes I have . And they will work real good. You can skip to trimming every third week or so. Most of the products will last up to 6 or 8 weeks.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If it's for a school, is this fence out somewhere where appearance is not that important? You may just want to consider glyphosate, or perhaps even a residual that is mixed with Isopropylamine salt (like in Triox). You would just spray it once, and be good to go for the entire year. The key to this is, to just do a wide enough path to be able to maintain. You certainly don't have to go 10" wide, or anything.

4. LwnmwrMan22

Runner -

The school doesn't care about appearance, they keep asking why I don't just use roundup and quit all the trimming. I try to keep telling them it'd be more of a hassle then, more or less spot trimming weeds that would grow.

I'm looking for something that would keep the grass green, but would hold it back so there's not the 24 hours of trimming every week.

5. JoppaGuy

JoppaGuy LawnSite Member

You could also try "Embark" Ive used it once before and was happy with the results.

6. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

If appearance isn't an issue yuo might go with emark or a weak glysophate. PrimoMaxx is expensive -- but VERY good at slowing down turf growth without loss of quality. Emabark and others tend to weaken the turf more -- but are less expensive.

7. goforgreen2

goforgreen2 LawnSite Member

Problem with glysophate is that chances are you'll introduce weeds in those areas. Primo is an excellent product to slow turf growth and still maintain the appearance of turf.

8. LwnmwrMan22

Thanks guys, expense is not an issue, since I already have the equipment to put the spray down, just want to get rid of trimming about 100,000' of chain link fencing. The expense is in trimmer line when guys can't keep that trimmer away from the fence.

9. LwnmwrMan22

goforgreen -

That isn't just your Lesco background talking, is it?? :)

10. goforgreen2

goforgreen2 LawnSite Member

Nope, no longer with that org. Have actually used Primo this past summer just before going on vacation (June).