Primo Maxx and Roundup as the Ultimate PGR!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by HenryB, Dec 27, 2006.

1. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been making my PGR strategy for next year and considering mixing Roundup at.25 oz per gal and Primo Maxx at .25-.50 oz/gal. Maybe even mixing in some iron to offset discoloration from the Roundup. Of course I'd try it on my lawn first. Might be a more economical way to utilize PGR's and offset Primo's high price. Any opinions? Tremor?

2. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

take pics i want to see this

3. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Why use both? Looks like you could "chemical mow" with a small percentage of glyphosate only. The Primo does more than just stunt the growth you know. Growth is redirected sort of to the roots.

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Tharrell

I have to agree with you about why use both. However I am on Warm Season Turf so may not know enough about cool Season Turf to talk.

On Bermuda and Bahia I use up to 1.0 oz Roundup per thousand mixed in with Ch elated Iron if I am concerned about Color. However I mostly do Roundup on my own 5 acres not customers turf.

Primo label rate on St Augustine is only 0.10 oz per thousand and I use it mostly for grown in. Any time I plug a yard or have a weak area I want to grow in I find Primo does a great job of re-directing growth.

5. MnLefty

MnLefty LawnSite Senior Member

Primo is recently off patent... There should be some post-patent options available within the next couple of months that can help offset the high cost of Primo.

Roundup seems like an awfully risky proposition to use on customers lawns, and I would NEVER consider it if I didn't have control of the entire process from mixing to application, meaning I would never send hired help out to do it.

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

MnLefty

Glad to hear about Primo going off patent. I have used Roundup on my own property for years now and Have a time or two burned it. However selection of Turf types are important. Bermuda is hard to kill and Roundup not only keeps mowing down, but makes for a weed free mono-stand. Bermuda can be either a Beautiful high maintenance Turf. Or a low maintenance not so beautiful hardy ground cover.

7. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Primo will give you a denser/greener stand of turf. Has to do with the cell walls.

Round-up will just stunt and discolor I would imagine.

I have not tried it myself on a lawn. But I know a college friend of mine worked at Michigan State and they would use it as on OTT on local tree farms to see the results they would get at reduced rates. No damage to the trees but they got great control on the weeds that were growing in and around them

8. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I learned about "chemical mowing" by accident this past year. I was a little careless when spraying a fenceline with glyphoste, full strength.
    I went back the next week to mow and it looked like someone had mowed a perfect swath right along the fenceline.
    I didn't have time to play with it but, I plan to try it on my own yard this coming year. The only caveat is, my back yard is full of every weed you can think of. I don't know how the chemical will react on each and every type of grass and weed back there. We'll see, stay tuned.
    btw-The term "chemical mowing" is real. It's in one of the labels I have for either Roundup or the PBI product I have.

9. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

if the cost is what's making you mix the two, you can use primo w/ another PGR and get the same if not better results (cant think of the second one right now). if you do the math, the primo cost per K is not that much, it's just the upfront cost of $600+ that hinders the thought of using it. and mixing w/ iron would be recommend on any PGR application.

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Yo

Roundup was the most financial successful pesticide ever and was actually a Mistake. Roundup was originally developed as a Growth Regular.

Roundup stunts Growth while Primo redirects growth. Agriculture has used Roundup for chemical mowing for close to 30 years