Principle truck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowin4cash, Jun 7, 2000.

1. Mowin4cash

Mowin4cash LawnSite Member

Right now, I operate out of a Dodge Dakota, V-6 gas hog, pulling a 6X14 single axle trailer. Was thinking of getting a 12 - 14 dumping stake body truck (Dodge cummins or an Isuzu NPR Diesel) so that I could haul yard debris w/o having to go to the dump 2-3 times a day when doing shrubs and stuff. Do you think a one man operation using this type of truck is overkill? Thanks.<p>----------<br>When the mowing gets tough, sharpen your damn blades!<br>

2. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

TOO MUCH FOR ONE MAN OPERATION<br>GET 3/4 HD W/ INSERT DUMP,BUILD SIDE BOARDS <br>WILL HAUL 5 YARDS OF ANYTHING(NOT STONE OR DIRT)I DUMP MINE EVERY OTHER DAY MOSTLY GRASS BUT A FEW TIMES A YEAR W/ BUSH CLIPPINGS <br>DOUG<br>

3. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I use a 88 Chev extended cab with an 8' box and pull a 12' trailer, I am thinking of buying a chipper to reduce the volume of brush and branches so that I don't have as many trips to the dump a day. I have an 18' flat bed that I am presently building into a trailer but will still be getting the chipper because it will help alot I think. Something to consider to reduce the volume.

4. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

International ACCO 6 tonner 22'6&quot; beavertail<br>tray + Mitsubishi Canter 3 tonner 15' tray.<br>Hard to tell which is the principle truck as<br>they both get used equally.<p>Karl<br>

5. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Mowin4Cash, why don't you just get a 6x18 trailer. This will give you a lot of extra dumping space in the front of the trailer and with tandem axles you will get the added benefit of trailer brakes. Total cost 2 grand and you could probably get 800 to 1000 for your current trailer. By far the cheapest solution.

6. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

i have a ford 94 f-250 with a 16' trailer

7. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

87 Ford 350 diesel with 16' beaver tail landscape body.

8. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

WE HAVE A 99 DODGE RAM 2500 4X4 WITH A E-Z DUMPER INSERT AND A 16FT. TRAILER.

9. lawnboyil

lawnboyil LawnSite Member

we use a 92' f-250 ford with a single axle 14' trailer. big would be better

10. The Mowman

The Mowman LawnSite Member

We use a 96' Dodge 3500 extended cab with insert e-z dumper with built up sides. Works great.<p>----------<br>Stephen<br>