* * * Printing Solution * * *

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by tthomass, Jan 14, 2007.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Okay! So I've had a real hard time swallowing paying $200+ for 1000 letter head. I've been given the run around about "well sir its four colors"...."well ink boy, its the size of a business card"....."we can do this we can to that, and smile at the same time"........"congrats, you have a nice day I'm too independent to rely on you".

Get the idea?

So I go into Staples looking to get some ink for my old HP ink jet printer. La la la la la dang, $70 for ink for that thing??? Here's where I start analyzing, common thing with business......want to be profitable right?

Oh looky! Here is a nice looking HP thingy, nice shape, nice curves.....its purdy. Hmmmm, $269......"why, what is this thing gonna do for me" I ask the sales guy. What is this 20,000 sheets? He goes on to explain that with the ink cartridges it requires it will print 20,000 copies......ooooooh really!! The ones that come with it will do about 7,000 copies......ok, thats still good.

Lets see here......after taxes and 4 cartridges for all new "super" ink it would cost me $350 once the inlcuded ones run dry. Thats a lot for some ink compared to my original $70 purchase. Oh but it is going to print 20,000 copies.

$350 / 20,000 = $.0175 each + paper (thats less that 2 cents btw)

Well gee gally, thats a lot less than what ink boy wanted to charge me.

So, are you on a budget? Do you aspire to print an almost endless # of copies?

Buy this for $283.xx after tax and put the extra $ in your gas tank:
  2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Ink boy is charging to cover for his overhead. Big store, fancy schmancy machines that get it printed at warp speed etc. Can't really fault him there, its up to the consumer to decide. You found the better route for your needs. Still not entirely a loss for him if you bought the printer and ink, just wouldn't have made as much as he thought he would. I think they get fired if they don't smile while they stick it to you as well. j/k Hope it works out as planned.
  3. tthomass

from N. VA

I understand their point........business is business wether it is landscaping or a candy shop......generally speaking.

I've read so many posts about people wanting to know who is the cheapest, how to do this, how to do that.........this is the best solution for a majority of ones printing needs.

The downside being that you have to do it yourself but in the mean time the printer will pay for inself with one mailing.
  4. UpNorth

UpNorth LawnSite Member
    from NE,US

I bought a color laser printer to do my letterhead. I'm probably dont go through the amount you do (there is no way I used 1000 letterheads) but I do use it for other stuff and 2 yrs later and still haven't bought ink. I get a message telling me the cartridges are empty, so I shake them and still printing.

But if you need cheap letterhead, the lowest price I can find is where I get my postcards and thats gotprint.com.
  5. tthomass

from N. VA

I just did a test run of 50 pages and thats the most I've ever printed of a single document.......but I am doing a very selective mailing of about 1,000 homes. Buying this printer I can do an additional mailing with the $ saved from not having high printing fees. More bang for the buck.
  6. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I just spent about 500 on a hp laser printer. It looks like i can print 5000 letterhead cheaper myself, instead of buying them. Thanks for the tip.
  7. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

We've done the same thing for two years now.
    We have an Epson CX11NF. Its a color laser printer along with scanner, copier, and fax. For our small business needs and printing about a 1k flyers a pop it works out great.

Printer cost us a thousand bucks. It has more than paid for itself. I can put together some real nice brochures along with a proposals in a heartbeat and fax it in color.

Although, I have had two issues with the printer over the years but the warranties covered them both. So I had to use my backup photoprinter (actually my wife's) to print my invoices one month which basically took forever cause its an inkjet.
  8. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

9. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

If your letter head has a lot of one color, you'll find that particular color runs out way before you reach 20,000. It's still the way to go, though.
  10. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Ink smears when it gets wet. But when I used it exclusively I would buy 8oz bottles of ink and refill cartridges at a fraction of the cost of new cartridges. In fact I would rather buy a new printer than new cartridges.

Colour lazer is what I use now. I have a Lexmark C510 and I buy toner off Ebay. Now I refill toner cartridges.