prior instructions for homeowner?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by BSME, Sep 9, 2005.

1. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

anybody give the customer some instructions for lawncare before you install a new system?

I did a new system over the weekend and the ground was bone dry so the pipe pulling was tearing the grass too much.... it looks fine today except you can see the dead grass wherever the lines were pulled... he made a remark that had he known he would have watered his lawn heavy before we started...

so I was thinking about including a sheet in the bid about proper care for your lawn before we show up... I usually say I'll be there in just about one week to give time for the plumber to do his thing and the utility companies to mark their stuff...

so far I got...
    1) water your yard heavy for the week before the install (the healthier the grass the easier it will go in and quicker it will heal)
    2) mow your yard the day before the install (now only do I find it a lot easier to rake dirt out of shorter grass but then they won't need to get it mowed right after the job and will give it time to settle)

any other suggestions?
  2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Just that I would not supply that info with a bid. I would make sure I had the job and then would present it to the customer and have them sign off on it prior to starting. That way it cya and they have acknowledged that they were instucted on the proper precedures prior to you starting. And I would add that any damage resulting from them not following the written advise is there responsability
  3. keepcuttin

keepcuttin LawnSite Member

I just pulled a nice little system, the lawn looked really nice , except after I pulled. When I tried to fix the pipe line, I found the lawn was full of grubs. That was the reason the turf pulled up in such a mess. I will help the owner fix the lines, because he is a really good customer
  4. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

Good so far: Water heavily everday per week before installation, Cut grass day before so they can hold off for a week or two. Drown the lawn for two weeks after so you don't loose any grass that was stressed. Time is precious so install in less then a day (most important thing you can do.) no trenching.