Privacy Planting

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jd boy, Aug 24, 2005.

1. jd boy

jd boy LawnSite Member
    from nw ohio

I am looking for some input and hopefully some pics of privacy plantings you all have done. Let me tell you some specifics on my job so you can toss some suggestions my way.

Cust. has a partially wooded lot. Very shady along the line she is looking to gain privacy on. She is not opposed to fencing, but I would like to steer clear. My thoughts are to eliminate a lot of the understory trees, leaving all large established trees. Hopefully this will let some additional light in.
    Next I want to use some large outcrops and boulders to provide some grade change. Then by planting on the terraced areas I should be able to meet her goals. I am also thinking about some sort of backdrop screening that will encompass a small seating area. This is where I would really like some ideas. If anyone has some pics of custom built structures / fencing it would be a big help.
    Thanks in advance

2. jd boy

jd boy LawnSite Member
    from nw ohio

c'mon i know someone has built a privacy screen!

3. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe a photo and diagram of your intentions may help. When I design a screen it is primarily plant material with an occasional trellis for vertical plant support.

Kirk

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Really need some pics on this one to see the situation and advise you correctly.I can tell you one thing,you can't pile up dirt terraced areas over existing large trees root areas.It will cut off air to the feeding roots of the mature tree's and eventually kill them(5 yrs to decline or sooner)