1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by sgallaher, Apr 21, 2003.

1. sgallaher

sgallaher LawnSite Senior Member

Hey what do you guys sugust is the best hedge or tree to use in place of a fence. My client wants to block off the neighbors but is not allowed to put up a fence. She wants something that will grow and fill in quickly (in a few years). I was thinking of Leyland Cypress. what do you sugust?

The linear feet is about 100' - 150'

2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Are deer a problem???

Leyland cypress are rather slow growing I think...also in CT I think they are a bit expensive.
  3. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

The Leyland Cypress are expensive here, too. They are a nice change from arborvitae, though. What is the exposure like? Sun, shade, part shade?
  4. sgallaher

sgallaher LawnSite Senior Member

Deer should not be a big problem and the exposure is mostly sunny, a few bigger trees around for some shade but not much.
  5. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

You can buy 4' leland cypress around here for $10 each. And they will grow extremely fast. That would be my #1 choice for a privacy row.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Forsythia...cheap and grows like a week.

I have a customer that has a row of them about 9 or 10 feet high and about 200 feet long that is used as a privacy hedge. Neighbors can't see s*** into their yard at all.
  7. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Only bad thing about Forsythia is they also grow very wide and require alot of trimming.

How about non invasive bamboo.....