1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Private estate maintanence

Discussion in 'Sports Field Management' started by mdlwn1, Jul 24, 2007.

1. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Anyone out there maintain a very large property?
  2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Probably a lot of us. We have a 3 acre estate and a few larger properties. Why?
  3. mdlwn1

I meant 30+ acres with a staff kinda thing. Just lookin to bump into someone doin the same thing as me.
  4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

25 acres. Mowing, chemicals, landscape maintenance. It is mostly mowing though. Only the house & entrance are landscaped on probably 5 acres of it.
  5. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes 2 movie producers
    1 extremely famous and current rock star
    1 retired rocket scientist formerly on the shuttle program. Please dont ask me for names.
  6. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

I used to do work for a few people where they had at least 1 full time maintenance man, the biggest crew ever was 7 people that were employed full time to do maintenance. I just did my thing, and they did theirs.
  7. mdlwn1

Was just lookin to touch base with someone in my shoes. I have a full time year round staff as well as tree and lawn service.
  8. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

We maintain a 28 acre residence located on a river. Mowing, fertilizing twice per season, maintenance of beds, other general services such as tree pruning, clean ups etc... This is our third year.

Last year we had a 87 acre estate across the river, but it was sold and they hired a full time staff.
  9. BlakeReeder

BlakeReeder LawnSite Member

I am walking in your shoes. I have two properties that are residential developments consisting of 25-30 acres each. I have four guys that maintain both properties weekly. We also have a landscape crew and tree crew, as well as two additional mowing crews. Talk about stress!!!!!!!!! Glad to know someone else has to deal with this as well
  10. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

I can assure you with proper management and a appropriate business plan and even if you continue to grow and expand your service capacity, the stress can subside if you really want it to. speaking for myself only- for years and years I insisted and demanded 100% total control with every aspect, I needed to let go and I slowly learned how to do just that. I had no life until I mastered what I should stress about and what I should not stress about.