privet hedge

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LocalTouch, May 24, 2003.

1. LocalTouch

LocalTouch LawnSite Member

At a college I maintain, the have some privet hedge. The total lenght of these is 260 feet. Average height including the wild growth is about 10-12 feet. The one side faces someone elses property, and does not need to be trimmed. What is the going rate in our industry for trimming this. I am figuring about 2 dollars per linear foot, so about $520. Sound reasonable? Give me feedback! Thanks.

2. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

What is privet hedge ?

3. Sounds like priv-ee. Very common shrub with simple oval leaves, from 1”-2” long. Stems get pretty long and stringy, sometimes with small white flowers, causing the shrub to look thin if not maintained. Makes a good thick hedge if its healthy and shaped. I don’t know about pricing that much of it.

4. gardenpro

gardenpro LawnSite Member
    from -

Price by the foot? Every hedge is different, that way of estimating will definately be out. Depends who did it last/when/how hard. Etc. Sounds like a big job, set a price per day, then divide that into how many days or portions of a day it would take. All this talk about price per square foot can be really misleading, especially for turf, there is so much variation in jobs. It's a live and learn thing. You screw up and learn.

5. Popsicle

Popsicle LawnSite Member

Ligustrum

6. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

It's going to depend on what you are using to trim the hedges, how many people trimming them, and clean-up. There is a difference between using a 24" hedge trimmer flying over an easy to maintain 4 foot high shrub and using a 20" hedge trimmer climbing a ladder constantly to trim a 12 foot high 260 foot long section.

I would figure your time as best you can and charge according to your hourly rate. Can't go wrong there.

7. Royal Oaks

Royal Oaks LawnSite Member

Hi, In New Zealand Privet is classed as a noxious weed, the reason being it will cause people hayfever and asthma attacks etc. Heaps were planted over the years but now its an offence to have it growing on your property. Shame as it made a nice hedge. Cheers.

8. Brendan

Brendan LawnSite Member

I cut a hedge of xylosma 2.4 metres wide by 2.4 metres high by 25 metres long, (8' x 8' x 75' approx. in your language) and it takes me 4 hours. 2hrs to cut and 2 hrs to clean up. On one side there is a 4 foot single brick wall which I walk along to cut most of the top of the hedge. On the other side is a rose garden which makes placement of the ladder difficult as well as cleanup.

Xyslosma is similar in growth and leaf size to the large leafed privit.

Another job is a Westringa hedge (Australian native) which is 4' x 4' x 330'. This hedge is cut monthly and takes a total of 3.5 hrs, 2.5 hrs cutting and 1hr cleanup. It backs onto a building so only the top and one side is cut.

The over all length of the hedge is important but the critical difference between these jobs is the height and the access (both cutting & cleanup).

I hope this helps you estimate the time it will take to do this job.

9. jman00

jman00 LawnSite Member

Dont laugh at this, just think about it.

I had an idea a few years back about this ligustrum hedge that i had to trip that was about 7'. and it was a pain. Moving the ladder every few min. I was thinking about getting a pair of stilts that drywall hangers use and my partner at the time just laughed at me but i thought it was a good idea. I never did it but i was just wandering if any of you had that idea.

One tactic that i tried was standing on the front of the lawn mower(it was about the right height) and haveing someone drive it down the hedge while i cut. it worked pretty good. For clean up if i do it enough and its in the right place i just mow over the trimed stuff. One strip away and the another towards the hedge. The stuff almost dissapears, then i pick up the larger limps that dont get cut up. Oh and another thing dont fert that **** or you will be cutting it every week.( the owner put a half cup of milorganite under each bush on year.)

10. Brendan

Brendan LawnSite Member

Dont laugh at this, just think about it.

I had an idea a few years back about this ligustrum hedge that i had to trip that was about 7'. and it was a pain. Moving the ladder every few min. I was thinking about getting a pair of stilts that drywall hangers use and my partner at the time just laughed at me but i thought it was a good idea. I never did it but i was just wandering if any of you had that idea.

JMAN00 it is a good idea, there is a hedge maze in Melbourne which use stilts when cutting their hedges.

Brendan.