Pro-Bi-Weekly

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, Aug 4, 2006.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Yea sounds strange but I am all for it. The way I think about it, I've been able to get more money per job with my bi-week customers, so if I had ALL bi-week customers, I'd be making a lot more money. A little tricky to track and schedule, but so far it's been working like charm and I've cut down on expenses and raised my per hour profit by almost 40%!

2. walker/redmax

walker/redmax LawnSite Senior Member

Hmmmm. That is kind of interesting, explain more.:drinkup:

3. HighGrass

from Z5 MA

Take one day...say...Monday. Monday you normally do ten, 7 day type lawns at 45.00. But what if you could take that same day and fill it with 20 bi-weekly lawns that were the same size that you can charge about 30-40 % more for? So now you do 10 of the 20 the first week and then the other 10 the second week and so on. Instead of making 450.00 for that Monday, you can make almost $600!

Look. The only way i do this is if the lawn isn't fed, irrigated or otherwise grows fast. And even if it does, I simply charge more. I mowing the same amount of time, making more money and the only change is alternating the schedule weekly.

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

So tell us all how you are going to do 10 bi weekly cuts in the same time it takes to do 10 weekly cuts.
    Bi weekly cuts take longer, that's why you charge more.

5. HighGrass

from Z5 MA

Actually, they take the same amount of time as a regular lawn. I charge more because there are trucking and schedulling issues. I also tell them that if they are on bi-weekly status, if it rains and I miss a cut, I will cut them at the next available slot and there may be a possiblity that there will be an slight extra charge for heavy grass. I've never had to add this on, but it's there if I need it. If a customer calls 10 LCO's and none of them will give them 14 day service, and then they call me, chances are good that I can sell them on the 30%. They understand as long as someone explains it them as opposed to saying, "Because that's what we charge".

6. HighGrass

from Z5 MA

Look, think of it this way. I charge about $60/hr to mow any lawn that's on a 7 Day cycle. I charge about $84/hr for any lawn that's on a 14day cycle.

7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I don't agree that a 14 day lawn will take the same amount of time as a 7 day lawn. The trimming alone will add up. Fertilized or not, in the spring time, trimming a 14 day cut is not going to be quick.
    14 day cuts are a pain in the rear, even with the extra money, but if you can make it work for you, then kudos to you. It's all about finding your niche in your market area. :)

8. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I guess the only tricky part would be getting twice as many customers as you normally would :laugh:

I see your point but you'd need to find double the clients...and all clients that don't water or care about their lawn...but yeah you could make more money, 14 days in summer heat, maybe you have to double cut a tiny patch here or there. A lot of lawns wouldn't take any more time than normal...

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

God only knows how many 7 day lawns we have that are tough...I can't imagine one after 14. :dizzy:

10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Especially after one gets 3" of rain, then it's 90 and sunny for a week....

Highgrass -

I bet that if you sat down and really crunched the numbers, that you'd realize that you're not really making that much more money.

Right now it probably looks like it works, but in reality, if you had a full schedule, and then had 2 days of rain, now you're looking at not getting to lawns in 17-20 days, and it would be a REAL hassle.