Pro C Controller Problems

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by cenlo, Aug 27, 2005.

1. cenlo

cenlo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Has anyone else experienced problem with the Pro c firng the master valve?

2. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

Give us more info and I'm sure someone here can help. My guess is it's a wiring issue, not a controller issue

3. cenlo

from Ontario

It's definitely the controller. If I try to fire a certain zone with the master valve connected nothing happens but if I pull the master valve wire off and attach it to the same zone they both fire. Also, if I get another faceplate from a different controller (that is working) and connect it at this job all is fine.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I believe it is a known issue with the Pro C. If you have jobs with no master valve using the Pro C you can swap out panels, should the controller be out of warranty.

5. cenlo

from Ontario

I fiqured this was a problem with the units. I get about 2 in every 15 units with that issue. So far the problem has been caught during the install, I hope it doesn't start happening afterwards to other units. We always use a master valve. Man...............what a P.I T.A.

6. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

I dont use master valves on any residential jobs anymore but the problem did happen to me when I was doing them and your right it was a Pro -C timer. All I did was take the wire for the MV out of the terminal and left and told the client it was fixed and sent them a bill for 50.oo cha ching. they were a PITA anyways. payup

7. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

I hope you were smart enough to gut the MV or remove it. I've cut the center out of a lot of diaphrams on systems that the client wouldn't pay to fix the MV wiring. As to telling them I fixed something and charging them for it, when all I did was hide the problem.........we all do buisness as to our own convictions. I tell PITA's they are pita's and suggest they shop elsewhere. I also find a need to shave on a regular basis. To each his own.

8. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

wjy would I cut the guts out? After I came to the conclusion about when and where to use master valves I decided I made a mistake using it anyway. I would really like to here your narrative on telling someone there a PITA... I am sure if you are saying it in this fashion it is costing you good referals.....MY customer satisfaction mailer poll is at 96% on the part where it asks about if they would refer my company it is 98%.....Lets here your narrative on telling a customer there a PITA

9. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

If you left a MV in place only manually open or with the plunger removed so it wouldn't close, you leave the possiblity of that valve failing in a closed position down the road. The way to make sure this can't happen is to remove the center of the diaphram. As to telling a customer they are a pita.........Mrs. Jones, I'm terribly sorry we haven't been able to meet your expectations. In our desire to see you get the best service possible, we would like to suggest you find another company. No, I'm sorry, we really feel this is in your best interest, and we do not feel it would be fair to increase your costs to meet your expectations.............You don't have to be rude, just firm. That customer who has called you to re-adjust this head or that one for free for the entire warranty period needs to be let go. That customer who consistently pays Novembers winterization with his pre-paid spring turn-on, needs to be let go. I would love to have 400+ systems, or the 700+ I used to service before going out on my own, but there is no profit in these customers, and most of them are NOT refering you to their friends. They survive and make themselves feel better when they are complaining. If they are your customer, they are complaining about you. Much better to let the guy down the street get that account and that advertising.

Oh, and your getting less than 100% positive feedback on postage paid satisfaction cards? If they bothered to fill it out, they said good things. If they are PO'd, they tossed it in the trash. What percentage of those cards do you get back?

10. cenlo

from Ontario

Why wouldn't you guys use a master valve all the time? We run 3/4" copper out of the house and into the ground (with a blow-out fitting of course) once in the ground we usually have a 12" run into our valve box where we have our back flow and then the master valve. For the $20.00 cost it just give me pc. of mind. With no pressure in any lines or manifolds there is no chance of leaking or blow-outs.