1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pro-C zone time snafu!!

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Jul 10, 2007.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

On two different properties this year, we started systems with Pro-C controllers and using the manual start all looked well.

Got a call that the zones were on for hours.

Went to property and all zones were running for at least 1 and 1/2 hours each although station run times were in 12-14 minute range. Went to change run times per station and display went immediately on all zones from long, long run times back to what they were originally set at. i.e. 1:30 down to 14 and up or down from there. All zones reacted the same when changing. What???

Started another property with the same symtoms. Exactly. Pro-C and the zones were on for at least an hour each. LOTS and LOTS of water. Went to the controllers and reset but am very leery about the controller going to long run times on its own.. Any ideas. Firsts for me.

2. greenhorn123

greenhorn123 LawnSite Member

ive had about 10-20 over the last couple years where all the start times on all the programs had times on them and they would just run and run cause the programs would just piggyback each other.

i changed out a toro vission II today with a pro-c w/ 3 modules, 12 zones. so after i install it i turn it on and zones 2,3 and 11 wont come on, so i figured soleniods. but after changing a head on zone 1 i turned zone 1 back on to adjust, now 1 wont come on and it says 3 err! so now im thinking its the new out of the box pro-c. i change the face with another and all 12 zones work!

new out the box?

if it were my company i would use rain bird but my boss has been a hunter guy for 20+ years. so whatever i still get paid, but im tired of being embarrased by hunter. we charge $245 for a wireless rain sensor and they dont work half the time. it sucks telling somebody they have to use a standard sensor after you just convinced them they need a wireless.
  3. jcom

These were both installed last year. Only two we have had problems with. I am trying to contact Hunter to find what is up with this. Not a good situation.

4. jcom

Oh yeah,

Needless to say, if we don't get a satisfactory answer, Rainbird will replace Hunter as our controller of choice. Even without the remote capability.

5. Over 300 pro c units installed over the last few years, I've yet to come across this problem.

The only thing that comes to mind is a brown out. Even the default program is set to auto water 10 minutes each zone.
  6. Research it hard and think twice about giving up that remote capability. If need be other remotes exist. Also that pigtail guy will sell you connectors. But seriously on the RB modular I've had a couple of modules quit registering:confused: No problem swapping but still a nuisance.
  7. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I use the Pro-c.

I've seen it a few times. I swear it's from the homeowner playing with it somehow.

Anyway. Problem doesnt seem to come back after I fix it.
  8. Harry0

Harry0 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Ive had problems with pro-CS and Rainbird esp modules. Easy fix though.
    One headache I had was when I installed a new Pro c controller and it was not recognizing the modules. Come to find out the new Pro cs-will not let you use last years modules. I spent an hour talking to my supplier and trouble shooting it when he finally asked if the modules were this years model. Live and learn.
  9. You can put the new black modules in the older pro-c that used the gray modules but you cannot put the old grays in the newer type Pro-c's that use black.
  10. Harry0

Harry0 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Did your supplier let you know? Or did you have to find out on your own? At least the blacks can replace the grays.