Pro fertilizers

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by WGrnd21, Nov 25, 2009.

1. WGrnd21

WGrnd21 LawnSite Member
    from NC

What brands of professional lawn ferts do you use?
  2. GreenClips

GreenClips LawnSite Member

Lesco(JDL) its really the only option around me with accessible customer service
  3. bx24

bx24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA/TX

depends since I have seen man "pros" use all kinds of things...
  4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

You can buy fertilizer that says "professional" on it and it is junk....and you can buy fert that DOESN'T say anything and it is awesome!

Here are a few things you want to look at when selecting a fertilizer:

Analysis - %NPK
    SGN (size grade number) - or average particle size
    Consistency of product - prill size
    Dustiness - Little to none
    % slow release
    Type of slow release
    Bag - as stupid as it sounds....make sure the bag is thick and will store the fert well. Some bags are just way too thin and don't keep the moisture out.

I have had awesome luck with Lesco and have used a little Anderson's.

Lesco is the best IMO!
  5. bx24

bx24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA/TX

what definds the words "pro"? I have some pros telling me Drive xlr8 is more then the old 75 which is odd. My price, coverage wise, is about 2%.

I agree somewhat with re above but I have great luck with another warehouse. Lesco is starting to come down on their price but their worker are dumb as a rock if you ask very specific questions..That is where the extention works way better. YMMV
  6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

have used andersons and scotts when starting out in apps,the worst has to be howard johnson. taht is like a plague to your application spreaders. had great results with andersons and scotts , but after that is has been the house brand of the company i am buying from . for a while now it is helena chemical. they have been great. i used to use UAP(verdicon) and BWI. they were not as good as Helena.
  7. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

My Lesco/JDL Reps are pretty sharp, especially when compared to some of the "knuckle draggers" that come in and ask questions. There are a lot more of those than you might think...
  8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I agree Ted!

My Lesco guys are at the the store mgr has been in the business for 30 years!

I don't think making a blanket statement like that is fair, because every strore chain isn't the same and I am sure there are some that are not as good as others!

For where I am...Lesco is the best, they have great knowledge, have great quality, service and prices are hard to beat!
  9. yz250fpilot

yz250fpilot LawnSite Member

10. 71ragtopgoat

71ragtopgoat LawnSite Member

Lesco is my choice.