Pro Landscape Help

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by lawnkid, Oct 10, 2007.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure if it's my program or what but I am almost ready to throw my laptop out the window. Everytime I try to clone an area of bushes to do a new design, I do the clone brush fixed deal and when I start goin back and forth with the mouse my screen goes crazy and blinks and asks if I want to paste and after clicking out the program freezes up. Is there some adjustment I need to make or should I send this program back and get my refund? I have customers asking for designs and I keep having to delay because of this glitch that I can't get around. Anyone else with the program experience this? I haven't even begun looking at the CAD section, proposal section, and design section and I'm already having problems.

2. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like you should call their technical assistance as that is not normal. They are very responsive and should solve your issues quickly. I can tell you a very powerful computer with a high end graphics card makes the program run much smoother.

If you expected the software to be easy and create designs for you, it is not. As with any "design" software, the right equipment and time spent working with the program will result in the expected results.

If you are in a jam and need images quickly for your clients, contact me and I may be able to help you out.

Kirk

3. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I played with it for a while between classes today and found that cloning the brush to the floating position is better than fixed and the screen doesn't freeze up. It did take alot of time to match he siding and brickbut I think in time it will get easier as you stated. I know what you're saying about the thing just making designs for you. I would be clueless had I not taken a couple classes and read many books on designing. I plan to take some more over winter and hopefully over winter between plowing master it and really go heavy on the designs. Thanks for your help.

4. Dreams To Designs

I prefer to copy an area and then make it an object to place over unwanted parts of the photo. It allows you to see better what you are doing and you can also adjust the size, within limitations. You can grab an existing window, piece of siding or masonry work from a part of the photo that is clean and paste it over the area to are trying to hide, especially if you will be adding plants over top of these areas. I find it much easier than cloning and also cleaner.

Kirk

5. Humble Earth Mover

Humble Earth Mover LawnSite Member

I would also consider boosting your computers memory. Not sure what your computer is running with, but I would say you want 512 minimum. Personally, I prefer to doctor my photos with photoshop and then take them into Pro Landscape. For me this is faster and cleaner. Even an old version of Photoshop would do the trick. Crop the photo, tweak the resolution, use the clone stamp tool for things like stucco, and copy and paste for brick, siding, windows, etc. and then open in PL and add your plants.

Kirk,

I think I remember you saying you incorporate Horticopia's software into what you do with PL. Can you tell me if it includes photos that are trimmed and able to be used in the image editor of PL, or is it better to be used with the plant information report you can generate out of the CAD Planner/Instant proposal feature? I was thinking of buying Horticopia and just wanted to know exactly how it meshes with PL. Thanks!

6. Dreams To Designs

William, the photos still need to be trimmed, but there are many more than available with Pro Landscape. For plant information and presentation, Horticopia is the best tool I have found so far.

Kirk

7. greenlady

greenlady LawnSite Member

I'm new to this forum from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and I've had that problem recently too! I just gave up and did it the slow way. If you get an answer from them let me know. I've had:cool2: Version 13 since January but have been too busy this year to really learn it. Going to practice this winter.

Also, is there anyone on the forum working in Zone 3 (okay don't laugh we love a challenge up here) who has uploaded images to the directory? I'm finding there aren't as many images and symbols for this part of the climate as others. Before I go to all the work of uploading my own images and altering the database thought it would be good to share.
    :cool2: