Pro Landscape

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by carcrz, Aug 14, 2007.

1. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Thinking about buying it here pretty soon. I do primarily lawn care, but would like to shift more towards the landscaping side here in a few years. I do a bit of designing, but primarily maintenance & renovations, with some expansions, down-sizings, & complete tear-outs here & there. You guys (& gals) think it would be worth it for me to buy it now or to wait a little while?

** If you have a version for sale, let me know.

2. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

It depends on what you wish to use the software for. If you are able to design and are good at it, Pro Landscape will allow you to use the 3D imaging to convey your ideas easily to your client and the plan mode will create crisp and clean CAD style landscape plans. If you are looking for a tool to help you design, Pro Landscape nor any "design" software is going to be of much help. I have found Pro Landscape to be the best and easiest to use of the comparable software programs available. The price is reasonable and they have excellent training and support. The often offer great pricing deals at shows for updates and complete programs.

If you need assistance with plants and their attributes, investigate Horticopia. It is an excellent source of information, photos and can easily make presentations for your clients.
    http://horticopia.com/

Kirk

3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

We purchased it earlier this year. It is an unbelievable sales tool. I think I paid around 13 or 15 hundred for it. I made that back within the first few weeks of using it. Customers love it.

Instead of customers seeing a 2d top view drawing with a bunch of lines and circles with plant names they get to see there landscape with their home, pool, etc. in the background.

4. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

agree 100% .i've been using it for years and it does sell itself. you show up with pictures of there house landscaped it blows them away.

5. Humble Earth Mover

Humble Earth Mover LawnSite Member

Kirk,

Horticopia can sinc with Pro Landscape, right? Do you know if it will import the CAD symbols for the plants or if you have to design symbols for all the plants not in the Pro Landscape database? I've been using PL for 2 weeks now and it's great. I love it, I just wish it had a bigger plant selection. I've also noticed when I save something as a jpeg or .pdf so I can email to a customer, it saves it in a grainy bitmap looking format and text is virtually unreadable. Have you noticed this also?

(I was going to ask this on the PL thread, but I figured since this one was going fresh....)

6. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, you can import CAD symbols into the Pro Landscape data base. With the newest version they have made so many things even easier.

is your issue with the plant selection in imaging or plan mode? For imaging, go with something that looks like what you are trying to convey and with plan mode I change the plant names to whatever I prefer to use. It would be great to have more plants and images and they do offer more with every new release, but who can ever keep up. Horticopia has finally announced the release of version 5 at a west coast show coming very soon.

Are you saving plans as .jpeg or .pdf? If you are, try writing it as a .pdf, rather than saving. That should solve the detail problem and will also allow you to save and print the .pdf in scale. As for imaging, I export them as a .jpg and have great clarity and no problem emailing or printing with great detail.

If you have questions or suggestions for Pro Landscape, communicate with them. They are very helpful and responsive and release updates regularly. Every version incorporates many more ideas and images to make the program a better tool. Just remember the limitations of the program, but exploit it for it's presentation abilities. With all our input, it will get continually better, easier to use and have more content.

Kirk

7. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I also export the document as a jpeg and send via email. I haven't had a customer complain yet.

8. Humble Earth Mover

Ok, I figured it out. I was having trouble with the Planner mode and not imaging. I was thrown off because there is no export option in planner mode and I tried saving as a .pdf and .jpg and it would distort the lettering. To fix this you have to go to the print menu and change your printer to PDFwriter and hit print then it will save it as a .pdf with good resolution. (go figure) I have version 12 so I'm not sure if that's the same for all versions.

As far as the plant selection, I was talking about plan mode as well. When you import to the database from horticopia, will it automatically generate the CAD symbols? Perhaps I misunderstood and you can only benefit from horticopia in the imaging mode....not sure. I want to add a bunch of plants that are not in the database and I don't want to just change and overwrite the plants that are there. The database editor seems like it will take me hours and hours and I was just wondering if there was a quicker way.

To the original poster who asked if PL was worth the investment.....how much is professional perception worth to you? If you have good designs and are presenting them in a bad format, then PL is what you need. For me, I've been using Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop to do designs for a long time and find this to be quicker and more tailored to the industry. I picked PL up in a matter of hours and just finished designing a $30K job, which took about 6 hours of design time.

9. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you able to also create elevation drawings with Pro Landscape? What about dimensioned layout drawings for construction? I'm still on the fence. Are there any options for making the presentation plan look better?

10. Humble Earth Mover

It has an array of CAD type tools for "snap to point" drawing with grid paper format. I suppose you could draw any type of plan. It has a pretty precise mapping feature that will tell you your exact distance and coordinate from the last axis point. All the bells and whistles of program are catered to landscaping though. The hatch fill is a nice feature which will add a pattern in an enclosed space to represent a brick style (running bond, herringbone, flagstone, etc.) You can also import a copy of a plot plan and trace it, then tell the program the distance between two points on the plan and it will adjust it to the proper scale, which helps when submitting hardscapes to the township or engineer. I personally find the planner design mode of Pro Landscapes to be of a bigger asset for big jobs (commercial or back yard) than the image editor. The image editor is nice because of the lighting feature and the presentation movies you can show the homeowner and the link to the proposal program, but I also think the images look a tad bit cheesy. I've done renders in photoshop that look way more real.