Pro-lock? or Loctite?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Honeoye, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Honeoye

Honeoye LawnSite Member

Changing clutch on exmark. said to use pro-lock,nut type p/n 840022. Can I use loctite Red, or blue in place of Pro-lock? Thanks guys.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

All I've ever used is Loctite red or blue, Never had any reason to try other brands.

3. fly-4-fun

fly-4-fun LawnSite Member

I agree with Rob, you can use either the red or blue Loctite. The red number 271 is more permanent than the blue, but both can be removed or loosened with heat. They all work great below 300 degrees F. Above that temp, they start to loose their ability to withstand the heat, so if you want to remove a nut or bolt you've installed with Loctite, just heat it above 300 degrees F and it will spin right out.

4. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have always used loctite with no problems :) I may be wrong but I thought blue was easily removed with hand tools and red with air tools or this could just be bad info from years past;) LOL

5. fly-4-fun

fly-4-fun LawnSite Member

Yeah, the blue can be removed with hand tools, and it will really make an allen wrench pop when you get it to break loose if it has been put on a set screw. There are different grades of the red I've used, and some of it is so tough that you have to heat it up some to get it to turn loose. The 271 grade is a medium strength that most parts stores sell. It's tough, but a good air wrench with about 125 psi will get it off most of the time.

6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I would recomend using the blue locite in this instance, not the red as the blue is made for locking but removal as the red is more permaneint.

7. Honeoye

Honeoye LawnSite Member

Thanks guys! I used the blue and 3/8 air tools to make it a 15 minuet job.It would be great if they sold a rebuild kit for these electric clutches. Theirs nothing to them that could'nt be replaced.