Pro -Locker

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by delphied, Jun 17, 2009.

1. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Whats up with pro lockers being $242? That seems high.

2. CUTABOVElc

CUTABOVElc LawnSite Member

better shop arond. just got one a couple o days ago for 105.00 shipped

3. delphied

From where?

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You know something? I'm reading the rules regarding securing loads and I'm not so sure the ProLockers meet those requirements if you only use one ProLocker. It says that the load cannot shift laterally and cause instability but a single Prolocker would allow a 1300 pound ZTR to flop all over the place. It also says that the load must be " Immobilized, such so that it cannot shift or tip to the extent that the vehicle's (read as your trailer and truck) stability or maneuverability is adversely affected;".

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regu...r/fmcsrruletext.asp?chunkKey=0901633480023950

6. CrewKut

CrewKut LawnSite Member

I think you may be right. I believe that a ProLocker coupled with a proper strap would be acceptable in the eyes of the law.

I suspect that the new rules will catch some people off guard. The rules also require that your method of securing must meet their specs. Everyday I see huge ZTR's on trailers with a little 1” strap attached to a front caster or not secured at all. This is not only unsafe, it is asking for a ticket and a further safety check to find what else you overlooked. It could get expensive.

I use E-Track with 2” straps for several of reasons. Mainly because they work and have been an accepted method of securing loads in the trucking industry for a long time. They are easy to set up and use and are relatively cheap.

Dan

7. delphied

As I read it, a prolocker would be just fine on my open trailer with rails because the load can shift , but not enough to cause any instability. Ive never had a unit tip on the trailer.

8. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I originally was going to use a Prolocker and even bought one before I had my first mower. After I got my Scag, I tested the locker and the Scag wouldn't fit well at all. The only way I could get it to fit was to roll the caster in backward. There was no way to just drive into it and it work. I took it back and bought Fastraps and never looked back. I almost bought the E-track system and I still might but it's pricey and I'd need a few different latches to secure it down which will add up to over $200. After adding the quick 36, I need a easy way to secure it without taking 5 minutes to strap it down. The big mower with the Fastraps takes about 30 seconds to strap down. Heck, I might just order a pair of Fastraps again. They work great and the chocks serve as a tie down location for other stuff I haul.

9. CrewKut

CrewKut LawnSite Member

ALC-GregH, I don't know who quoted you $200, but that sounds way high. I bought enough to do my entire trailer and all the equipment. The cost was about $65. I bought the stuff from a local truck and trailer (semi) supply company. I have seen the same stuff at an RV dealer at a much inflated price.

This place seems to have decent prices.
    Click here

Dan

10. kaferhaus

kaferhaus LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for that link! the mfg website is http://www.ericksonmfg.com/

I really like the retractable ratchet straps...

I could not find any width dimensions though.... our trailers have 3" steel box section rails the E Track appears to be wider than that. Anyone know the width?

Putting them on the deck would be a no go for us. If they'll work it sure would solve a problem for me.