Pro-Slide on Driveways

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brento, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Brento

Brento LawnSite Member

I am considering buying the Pro-Slide. I have searched the old posts about it, and there seems to be little information about going across driveways and brick walkways with it. Due to the property that I cut, if I have to get off it to go across the driveway, I will never be on it.

It is obvious that it will cause the plate to wear faster. How much is a new plate? How long do they last?

I was going to get a Bull Rider, which would traverse the driveway fine, but the property is very wet and I think it would sink in too much and cause ruts.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

2. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

my slide is worn right now because it got a tear from putting mower on my old trailer sideways plate is 35 dollars here i got 3 years out of it mostly sliding down a brick road it will hold up well on driveways asphalt is the worst but still doesnt seem to wear very fast i love the thing no ruts in wet grass and helps to stripe i stay on mine going off curbs and right up into the trailer
  3. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

How many times do you need to cross that driveway? More than once seems pretty inefficient. Do you cross the driveway that many times at your other properties? Why would one property stop you from purchasing on of the best sulky's out there? As for ruts from wetness, a wheeled sulky such as the bullrider will create a rut more so than the ProSlide which will flatten them out.
  4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I know what Brento means about going across driveways all the time, sometimes you mow in directions that make you turn around in or completely cross the driveway with your stripes, to keep them even and prevent turning around all the time, you would just go straight across instead of mowing each side of the yard seperately, or to prevent divots from turning in the yard when you can go into the drive to turn and keeps the stripes nicer too plus less stress and wear on lawn (not turning in lawn as much).
    I have a question about the Proslide, does it mark up the driveway or bricks etc to drive over it? Is the skid plate plastic or steel?
  5. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Skid plate is about 1/4" thick plastic (when new). I use on drives and doesn't seem to wear it out too bad as long as they are smooth. No marks are left on driveway or concrete for that matter.