pro-slide or wheeled velke?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by mikeklein, Oct 9, 2002.

1. mikeklein

mikeklein LawnSite Member

I have 2 questions,first,I have a 2001 Metro 14hp 48".I need to put some type of riding attachment on it to mow faster.A friend of mine has a Gravely with same engine and deck size as mine,he is using double wheel velke,he weighs close to 300lb. also! He said he has had no problems mowing in 4th gear for the past 2 years.I weigh about 250lb.and want to make sure the mower will handle this before spending $300.I have seen the pro slides,but do not see how they keep from tearing up the turf,or how they manage to even pull an operator,since common sense tells us that things being pulled on wheels is easier than to simply drag it.I really doubt a pro slide could pull a person of my weight?secondly,I have been trying to stripe my yards.They show up allright,but are not consistent in all areas.and definitly not like some I have seen.I have the front of the deck set about 1.5" lower than rear,I have tried big rubber flaps that didnt make any difference,I have tried a roller with the same results.The only thing I havent tried is chains.thanks for the help.----Mike
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hey Mike,

The Metro will pull you on a sulky. You may have to adjust the drive wheel springs to put more tension on the drive belts, but I wouldn't foresee any huge problems here.

The only concerns I have heard with the belt-driven units occur when operators encounter hills and/or have moisture on the belts. These two things can cause belt slippage; however, if you're on a hill, there's a good chance that you'll be walking behind the machine, instead of riding on the sulky. Unless you have a lot of moisture on the belts, the drive wheel springs are misadjusted, or the belts are just plain shot, your mower should be able to get you where you want to go.

I know the Pro Slide works because I've seen it in action. It doesn't tear up the turf much once the operator understands where they can and cannot put it. I was a little skeptical too when I saw pictures of it. The thing that I don't like about the Pro Slide is the shocks or dampeners that pull the platform up and out of your way. These wear out over time and are relatively expensive to replace.

You mentioned something about a striping kit or getting your Metro to stripe better. One of the benefits on the Pro Slide is that it does enhance the stripe in the lawn.

You wrote that you have the deck 1.5" lower than the rear. That's fine, but just be careful. If you put too much pitch or rake in the deck, it can cause streaking between the blades.

When you tried the heavy rubber flap, where did you attach the flap to the machine, and how low did you have it set in relation to the ground? Did the flap help at all? What about the roller? Where did you attach that to the machine, and how low was it set at? I was kind of surprised that you didn't have any luck with either system. If none of these other systems helped, I doubt that chains will make much of a difference either.

When it comes to striping, there are a lot of experts here on who should also be able to point you in the right direction. The Pro Slide/Sulky question is also another good one for them. You may want to copy your post and put it on the commercial side. Create another post with the answers to my questions about the previous set-up with the flap and roller. Maybe that information will help us determine what's going on here.

Talk to you later,

Exmark Customer Support
  3. RMDoyon

RMDoyon LawnSite Member

Kudos to eXmark for recommending a product that they don't even sell!

Yes, the ProSlide is an excellent product that does not tear up the turf, BUT given your statistics, I would NOT attempt to use it on that machine.

I weigh 200 lbs and ride a ProSlide on my Turf Tracer HP 48" and that is the smallest machine I would ever attempt to use it with. Unless the lawn is level, there is a tendency to pop the front end up. Even with a level lawn one can pop the front end if you're not careful releasing the controls.

If I were to replace this machine with anoter wb, i'd be a TT52 or a TT60, not an HP series.

I heard rumors that eXmark has a weight kit for their walk behinds but my dealer knew nothing of it.

Can you help?
  4. eXmark

Your information is correct. The p/n for the weight kit is 103-2637 and is intended to help with the exact issue you mentioned.

List price on the kit is around $70 and is a simple bolt on.

5. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi Dustin,

You mentioned that the proslide works good once the operator knows where they can and cannot put it. Can you give me some specifics on where you can't put it? You seem to have a good understanding of it and also the objectivity about sulkies I'm looking for.

Think it'd be appropriate for a 200 lb operator on a 32" Metro type mower if you put the weights on it? I'm looking at getting another larger hydro wb for use on wet days when my Lazer can't get on properties and I'd like a unit that works well on both mowers and also can operate well in wet weather.
  6. RMDoyon

RMDoyon LawnSite Member

I can't imagine a ProSlide on a 32" Metro.

Looking at the overall size of the machine and the comparatively tiny drive wheels, your 200 lb. frame is going to induce far too much wheelspin. Add the weight kit and you'll only increase resistance.

As I stated before, I wouldn't mount on anything smaller than the TTHP 48" unless you weigh closer to the 150-165 range.
  7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree, after using the 32" today for the first extended period, there just isn't enough tire on this model. I may pick up a cheap wheeled sulky just for this mower and another if I get a bigger wb.
  8. eXmark

While you could probably get by with a Pro-Slide, you might want to opt for the more versatile two-wheel sulky, like the double wheel Velke. I didn't know that you were going to try to put it on two different machines. If you are, you should consider one sulky that is easy to put on and take off. Then all you would have to do is purchase an extra mounting bracket and put it on your extra walk-behind.

If you're still interested in the Pro-Slide for your Metro, you might want to contact Doogiegh. I know that he uses the P-S on his 32" Metro.

The Pro-Slide works well, but you can't use it when transporting across concrete. You can try to use it on the hills, but you're better off walking (this is true about a lot of sulkies), and if the grass is really wet, it will lay the grass down more than a single or double wheel Velke. This is what I was referring to when I said that you had to understand where you can't put it. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Here to help,

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Pro Slide On a TT 60". I Just Put It On A 2002 TT 52" So I Can Exercise.

green house resized.jpg
  10. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

The proslide is very easy to swap out, just pull a pin and the thing releases from the mounting bracket.

When I first got the thing I avoided all hard surfaces because of all I heard here then I started to ride on pavement then concreate and now sometimes even graveled pavement. I have seen only scratches so far no noticible thickness wear in the plate after two months of hard surface use.