1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Pro Slide/Velke/Sulky Which One?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by T. Wheeler, Apr 29, 2006.

1. T. Wheeler

T. Wheeler LawnSite Member

I am currently in the market for a pro slide, velke, or sulky. Just wondering what does every one else recommend using. I have heard lots of got stuff on pro slide but, I have also heard alot about the Trimmer Trap Bull Rider. What our the advantages of the pro slide over a one wheeled velke and the Bull Rider.

Also, Do y'all get off your pro slides when your on concrete or moving from grass to sidewalk to grass and, if you do what does it do to your skideplate lifetime. Does the auto retract have any problems or get in the way when using. I am kinda leaning towards a pro slide due to reviews on it.

Any additional info and or pics on any of them will be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
    Trevor

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

my velke X2 is great, paid $200 for it at the time i bought my eXmark and the dealer installed it for me. It rides smooth on all angles of operation and has a large platform which is comfortable to ride

i can get pics of mine on my mower tomarrow if you would like

3. T. Wheeler

Sure that would be great if you don't mind doing so. Also do you have any dislikes about it?

4. treemeat

treemeat LawnSite Member

proslides are not intended to be used on concrete of asphalt--just the places where you might want to go faster than walking speed when transporting back and forth and such. Too much stuff (moving parts) to worry about IMO with the retract and stuff, and who knows how much they get for a new slide.

I agree with mcw that the x2 is great, but it is all I ever had. In fact I just bought another one. The x2 helps with striping and the pneumatic tires have some shock-absorbing qualities. Stick some slime in tires and forget it . . .
    just don't forget to grease the wheel bearings

5. blakeg314

blakeg314 LawnSite Member

proslide leaves a great stripe but i belive you cant go on pavement with it.. whatever you do just dont get a 1 wheel sulky

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I like the single-wheel Velke...great on a hydro wb. I've been doing this so long now I no longer get all geeked-up over stripes

7. mcwlandscaping

no real dislike, you just need to get used to it. like making a full 180 degree turn in high gear (4th or 5th) without flying off and also knowing to watch out for things to not get caught on the velke wheels. like treemeat said, helps with striping, you can also put a stripe kit off the back of the velke if you wanted to, to really enhance the stripe. i would deffinatly recomend the X2 after all my experiences with it, ill deffinatly get some pics of the velke tomarrow for you

8. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

ProSlide gets my vote, you can search my name, 'jtkplc', and 'proslide' for what I have to say about them.

9. T. Wheeler

Yeah its a 1998 Snapper Pro Hydro 48" 14hp Kohler i'll be using it on if I get one.
    Have y'all with the X2's rode or tested a pro slide and is there any advantages of one over the other? What I see is pro slide strips better maybe smoother but, X2 is more versiltile and less money in wear parts (like pro slide's skide plate)

10. mcwlandscaping

never tried a proslide but i end up driving on pavement quite a bit to transport or when turning the mower around, ide end up spending more time getting on and off the proslide than actually mowing