Pro Slide

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnalternatives, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Lawnalternatives

Lawnalternatives LawnSite Member

Tell me about the Pro slide. Does fatigue come in to play a little more than with a two wheeled sulky? How often does the plate just wear out? Does the stripe really look good and full or is it thin looking?
    Just wondering. I have another wb coming soon and will need another sulky. I have always had two wheeled sulkys.

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Much less fatigue!
    Stripes real thick and full, deep color. Better stripe than anything else available for walk behinds (or riders really, but a deck roller does about as good). I'm just an hour up the road, come try out my ProSlide if you want to demo one, I have two acres some flat some hilly, and obstacles. I'd highly recommend trying one on my property actually, my Pro is great on most of my lawns but my own lawn and one or two others it's not the perfect solution. I'm building a castoring sulky to use on those lawns though, just pull the pin and switch between Pro or castor sulky... send me a private message if you want to come try it. I may even sell it to you, if my castoring sulky does everything I need (i have a deck roller on my TTHP, so the Pro doesn't do a whole lot for my stripes).
    Eric

3. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Oh, I don't know how long the plates will last you. It depends on how much asphalt/concrete/blacktop you drive over (abrasive surfaces like this wear it extra quick). I have a commercial place that requires driving over alot of parking lot area to get to lawn sections, and I just slide over it but it's hard on my skidplate... They're around $35 I'm told.

4. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

No fatique, nice stripes. And my plate has lasted at least 3 years.

5. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

whats a pro slide?

6. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

you were saying they don't work on every property...for those it doesn't work on, you can just step off and walk and it automatically retracts, right?

7. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Yes that is correct. What I mean is, when you drive across that parking lot, it makes an awful grating sound, and everyone looks at you funny. I don’t care about the increased wear, that’s pretty insignificant to me. But, some areas are not ideal for riding a Proslide (steep hillsides) but are bigger than I feel like walking. Or, if it’s wet or on a hillside, you lose turning traction and have to be careful how to turn the mower so as not to tear the grass. Or some areas require some backing up, and you have to step off the Proslide to back up more than 6” or so (it will start to fold up if you back up a little, then you can either step off and back up more or go forward again). So you can nose up to a tree, then back up just enough to go around it. But it robs your tires of traction when you are turning (I’m 170#) and I like to zero turn or 3 point turn and it’s kinda hard with a Proslide unless you push down on the handlebars with your hands, which is hard on your wrists (that transfers traction to the drive tires which helps). It’s a great sulky, I do like it don’t get me wrong, but I’m not saying it’s for everyone. It WILL give a smooth ride and it WILL give great stripes, and it WILL keep you behind the handlebars on turns, and it WILL never get a flat tire. It has wear parts just like a regular sulky though, like gas shocks, springs, and the skid plate. I accidentally broke a spring when I backed over the Proslide in my early days (didn’t step off when backing up) so I had to put new springs on it, but they were getting worn anyway. Never had to replace the gas shocks. My skid is shot. I got the Proslide used, I don’t know how old or worn it was when I got it. I used it since last June. It’s a great sulky, and it is the solution if you have areas that need walked and areas that need ridden. It’s not for everyone though. I’ve loved mine, great to step off and walk when needed, but I’ve only had to do that because of loss of traction, with the exception of one steep bank (that I could walk downhill of the mower and not touch a sulky) so I think with a castoring sulky I can get the same benefits and then some. I’ve got the deck roller to do my striping.

8. Lawnalternatives

Lawnalternatives LawnSite Member

Great responses guys. I think that if I could get my Jungle Wheels to stripe then I would have an awesome set up. The only thing that really concerns me about the Pro Slide is the potential to tear the turf. Whether it be be making a hard turn or reversing.

F.S.: It would take a lot of beer for me to make a trip across the river into Indiana, but I could be persuaded. Where are you?

9. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

The Proslide itself doesn't tear the grass, but if you break traction that tears grass. It's not that bad, but on hills or when wet you have to be careful, as with anything else.
    I am in Columbus, on I65.