prob with lawn

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by garth1967, Oct 17, 2005.

1. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

would anyone know how to fix a lawn that has burn patches from dog poop and pee new owners have moved in and there is no dog anymore

2. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Too late this year. It should clear up by itself next season. Apply some fert to help it grow out.

3. garth1967

it is mid spring here

4. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

NO,don't apply fertilizer.It will burn even more.The urea level of the dog is what burned the grass to begin with.You certainly don't want to add nitrogen to it.
    If you have a rhizome spreading grass,apply generous amounts of water to the area,to dilute the urea,and let the grass fill in.
    If you have a bunch type grass,you'll need to water heavily for a few days and then add seed or sod.

5. garth1967

its a couch grass the rest of it is in good condition

6. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

The damage he's refering to is usually 4" in diameter and is caused by amonia is the urine not nitrogen. The chemical burn will break down in about a month. If the lawn is fertilized apply nothing. If not, applicating the lawn will help to mask the problem. Any additional burn will be undetectable. Fert will help the healthy grass creep back in that much faster.

7. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I know what dog urine burns looks like :DI also know that as the urea is diluted,the grass will come back plenty green(assuming it's a rhizome type grass).No need for fertilizer.Adding nitrogen to an area that already has too much urea will only cause more harm.

8. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

counting that nitrogen is among the faster leaching macro nutrients in soil fert. wouldn't hurt

9. garth1967

mixed response but thats ok i thought maybe the grass was gone for good we getting plenty of ran at the moment i will see how things go thanks for the imput though not much opportunity for networking here this site has been helpful theres alot of other questions i would like to ask like what is sod and what is stripeing hows that for starters

10. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

When our dog goes out in the yard it does turn brown after a few days but then usually with in a week you would never know were she pee'ed at.