1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Prob with leaf vac, need help,

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mcwlandscaping, Nov 10, 2005.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Well went to do a cleanup today and when I got there i found oil comming out of the exhaust. I knew for sure that wan't right. What could be wrong with it? It didn't get shaken up or anything and was just in my trailer for the trip there. This has never happened before in the two years that ive had it. Would like to diagnose the problem asap because i have 4 more cleanups tomarrow. Thanks for any insight into what the problem may be.

Oh, its the billy goat leaf vac in my signiture and if you need anymore information about it to determine what is wrong, please just let me know.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

it tipped over at some point change the oil and fire it up
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Check your oil for fuel contamination, It's possible a piece of trash got under the float valve and filled the crankcase with fuel. This could account for oil in the muffler.
  4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Valve seat broke loose?
  5. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I second this. You said you had it on a trailer. Bouncing down the road on that trailer could have caused the float to flood the carb and dump the gas tank into the cylinder. Gas will then leak pass the rings and get in the crankcase and mix with the oil. Check the oil for gas contamination. Running an engine with gas in the oil will kill it quicker than running with with no oil at all. Install a in line fuel shut off and shut off the gas when transporting it on a trailer. I see that all the time.
  6. mcwlandscaping

How do i check to see if it is contaminated, do i just take out the dipstick and if it smells at all like gas the oil is contaminated or is there some test that i have to do to see if it is contaminated, this is not looking good, thank you for all the responses so far!

7. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

its unmistakable, the stick will be real thin oil and gas mixed, it smells like gas and the level will be way above where it is supposed to be.
    sounds to me like restrorob & fixer pegged it.
  8. mcwlandscaping

OK, i am pretty sure you guys are right, thanks so much, ok, now what would be the steps to fix the problem? My dad and i will have to fix it when im done cleanups for the day and hes done work, so what do i need to do?
    step 1...
    step 2..

thanks so much

9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well hopefully you changed the oil before you ran the engine ? We don't really know if it happened from trash in the carb. or bouncing around on your trailer which is very possible as fixer67 said. If the unit has a fuel cut-off valve make sure you turn it off while trailering, If it doesn't add one as fixer said and just keep a eye on the oil for fuel contamination. If it happens again then a fuel tank and carb. clean is in order.
  10. mcwlandscaping

Thanks for all the help, right after i wrote my last post in this thread i discovered that my dealer considered it warranty work and took care of it for me. Havnt gotten it back yet but lucky for me, the warranty runs out on the 22nd of this month!!Close call!