probably a dumb question about blowing??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BryPaulD, Sep 6, 2004.

1. BryPaulD

BryPaulD LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

If you blow after mowing and laying down stripes, does it wreck the stripes??

2. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Pretty much, especially if the lawn is cut high, but you'll still have some stripes. Also, the wheel marks from the blower mess up your patterns. If you really want that pattern, simply mow it again after you blow off the lawn.

3. BryPaulD

from MI

I figured. Just wanted to make sure. Logically the stripes are caused by laying the grass down in opposite direction, so then blowing would "unlay" them

4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I didn't see mention of a wheeled blower. I assumed he meant a HH or BP plower, no?

Are we talking about regular grass clipping on the sidewalk after mowing, or are we talking about leaf blowing or what?

Blowing grass clippings off the sidewalk after mowing won't mess up your stripes. Not significantly enough to really make a difference anyway.

5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Actually, if you use your blower the right way, you can enhance your stripes.

I'm talking about a backpack blower anyways.

If you walk backwards so the air is blowing the "light" shaded stripe down more, it'll enhance.

Same goes for if you were to walk forwards on the "dark" colored stripe, it'll stand the grass up again, therefore reducing the effect of your stripe.

6. BryPaulD

from MI

I suppose ultimately I would blow first the sticks and leaves out. Then I would edge the sidewalks and curbs to make that mess. Then mow/stripe. Then blow out the sidewalk and curb dbris? Any suggestions? Thank you. And yes I was referring to backpack blowing.

7. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

If i have to blow a lawn off. I blow with the stripe. Ys it does enhance the stripe

8. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I had just read a couple threads about leaf blowing, so I thought he was talking about that. We've found that blowing a lawn off after mowing with a backpack blower just to disperse grass clumps doesn't mess up the stripes too much.

9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

You really shouldn't have to worry about sticks and leaves before hand, unless they're bigger than your pinky finger or thumb, those'll usually just get mulched up wheny you're mowing.

If you're got a real PITA that complains because you didn't pick up every little stick, look for another customer. No one will ever pay you enough to pick up every stick and/or leaf.

Also, if you WERE going to blow off all the sticks and leaves first, where would you blow them to?

If you're going to go through that hassle, might as well put a bagger on the mower and just bag every yard, much faster than trying to blow leaves into a pile, then have to bag them first anyways, especially if it's windy.