probably a dumb question but....

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by back_lash, Sep 5, 2007.

1. back_lash

back_lash LawnSite Member

When you're building a patio out of pavers, how do you know how high to build up the bedding sand? I built a landing in front of my front stairs out of pavers approximatly 6feet x6 feet, and I had some larger edging stones going around them(like a U shape). I built up the gravel inside so that the pavers would be flush with the edging stone. How do you guys skeed the 1inch of sand so that it would meet flush with an edging stone. Once you tamp the pavers, they would settle, so I wasnt really sure how to do this. I ended up laying down my sand, then I individually leveled each small brick, which was a major pain the ass and took me forever, and was very frustrating. Plus i think its unlevel in one place, so that is driving me crazy. I was just wondering how the pros do it.
  2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

sand is always one inch,
    lay down 3/4 inch gas pips and screed the sand with those,

the pavers will settle 3/8 of an inch into the sand.
  3. back_lash

back_lash LawnSite Member

well my paver is 1 3/4 inches thick. If i layed down 3/4 inch gas pipes like you suggest, wouldnt the paver have to settle an inch? that seems like alot. I don't get how you can make the paver equal an edger stone, without doing it by hand. Boggles my mind lol...
  4. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

The easiest thing to do is cut a 2x6 with a notch in it to screed exactly the right amount of sand at your cap or border. we usually use pavers that are 2-3/8" thick. we cut a 2" notch out of the 2x6 about 10"-12" long. this allows for about 1/4" of immediate settlement when the plate runs over it and about 1/8" for future settlement over time. pull the 2x6 with the notch along the caps on one side and a 1" pipe on the other side. this will insure that you get a consistent screed along the caps.
  5. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i don't get what you are asking???

the outer diameter of the 3/4 pipe is 1".... you use them to screed the sand to a uniform depth of one inch.. then the pavers are set on top of the sand bed.

and if you are using that thin of a paver, you will have tons of problems...

60MM (2 3/8") is the thinnest professional grade paver...