Probably a kawi design flaw in 27 l/c, should I worry?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by roscioli, Jun 24, 2002.

1. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Just changed the oil for the first time in my new 27 L/C 60" Z. WHen I went to check the dipstick after I realized that it is very difficult due to the sharp curve in the dipstick "shaft" to put the stick back in. It seems like the end of the dipstick is scraping the inside of the "shaft", and I am worried that its gonna take shards of metal with it... are the dipsticks something that come from Kawi, or something that eXmark fits on the engine?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

roscioli:

Thanks for the post. The male dipstick that you put into the female dipstick shaft is relatively straight, correct? The female receiver that you slide the male dipstick into has the curve to it, right? This is a Kawasaki design, so evidently, they are not concerned about metal shavings entering the engine. I pulled a few dipsticks out of the 27-hp Kaws. that we have at the factory, and they felt the same way. As long as you don't get real aggressive when you put the dipstick back into the receiver and change your oil at the recommended intervals, you should be fine. If you have any other questions, feel free to make another post or e-mail me at Dustin.Schwab@exmark.com.

Here to help,

Dustin Schwab
    Exmark Customer Support

3. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks a lot for the info, that is exactly what I was talking about. I wasnt sure if you guys were in charge of the dipstick design or if it was kawi, but I guess i will just try not to worry.. it seemed to be scraping a lot, its just a stupid thing to design poorly, it seems that after years of making motors, they would know better by now about a simple thing like that, you know?

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

roscioli:

If it's really a big concern of yours, maybe you could swing by your Exmark Dealer when you get a chance and ask him about the dipstick. It never hurts to have another person look at it. At least then you would know for sure if this is normal or if something is wrong.

Talk to you later,

Dustin
    Exmark Customer Support