Probably been posted before, but need automotive oil filter part# for mower engines

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Rons Rightway Lawncare, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Kohler 27 horse V twin on my new Scag, just curious if anyone knows the part # of auotmotive filters that are okay to use on it?

My other scag has a 25 horse Kawasaki V-twin and it uses the same filter as my 2000 Toyota Echo and the wifes 2005 Toyota Camry with 4 cylinder engine, I have the filter number written down in the shed, if anyone wants it.... Used that type filter for 1300 hours and not a problem, half the cost of filters from lawnmower shop....

Thanks in advance, getting close to time for 1st oil change, probably by end of week, so need to go get some filters soon!

2. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Get the numbers off of your current filter and cross it at wixfilters.com
    The last 4 of a Wix filter is the NAPA number.
    If you want anything else, cross those numbers at your vendor.
    You can also have your vendor look up the specs to make sure the replacement is of the same micron, check balls and such.

3. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

NAPA 1394 for Kawasaki and NAPA 1056 for Kohler. Wix numbers are 51394 and 51056. Wix makes filters for NAPA and Carquest as well as others that I am not aware of.

Dutch

4. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Well thanks guys! Any chance anyone has the # for a fram filter for the Kohler engine? It is more likely I would go to autozone or Pep boys to get oil and filters than napa...

5. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

I'm not a FRAM fan so didn't have the numbers real handy. WIX filters only on my vehicles and equipment.

Fram number for the Kohler should be PH8172, Kaw PH4967 but I would double check when you get there.

Dutch

6. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

I would hesitate to use anything other than original equipment parts during your warranty period. Think about it.. a $9 filter, or a $2000 engine. Which would you rather have to pay to replace?

7. Bigblue250

Bigblue250 LawnSite Member

Well I do know that an newer Onan engine will take a Fram PH4967 toyota filter. I got sick of paying 11 bucks for a filter, and through some creative cross refencing I found it was the same filter:clapping:

8. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Yes that is the part number I used on my kawasaki engine.

9. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Well late doing this oil change... going tomorrow to Pep boyz to see what I can get there!

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I use advance storebrand auto filters myself, around $3...

I would recommend always run a synthetic oil after the engine's initial break-in.