Probably going to get a Metro 36" Fixed Deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by asyracus, Sep 9, 2004.

1. asyracus

asyracus LawnSite Member

I just went by the Exmark place, and they guy pretty much sold me on their 36" fixed deck Metro with pistol grips. Keep in mind, I cut part time, and only have 9 small yards that I currently cut, so he thought it would be the wisest choice for me.

Just had a few questions before I buy:

Anyone else out there run one of these as their primary mower?

Is adjusting the height on the deck as easy as the salesman made it sound? He said that you never have to mess with the back of the deck.....only the spacers on the front. Is this correct? It seems weird that only the front of the deck would get adjusted to change cutting height.

How are the pistol grips? Is it worth the extra $500 to bump up to the ECS controls? The salesman didn't seem to think so (at least not for the amount of time per day that I would use it).

Please give me your feedback, because I'm thinking about getting it this weekend! Thanks so much!

2. simsy71

simsy71 LawnSite Member

I Also do this part time and have the 48 fixed deck but with the ecs controlls. I have to tell you I love the ecs controlls. I have not changed the deck height yet so I can nto comment on that.,

3. D&R

D&R LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I have used both pistol and ECS controls. I had ECS controls with a belt drive fixed deck Metro. I currently have a pistol grip hydro with a floating deck. I loved the ECS, but have gotten used to the pistol grips and don't have a problem. I think it boils down to personal preference and don't think you can go wrong with either. You will get used to whichever one you choose. I would have purchased the ECS again, but I got such a great deal on the pistol grip I just couldn't pass it up and I don't regret it. Good luck!

4. D&R

D&R LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Ooops! I forgot the other half of the question. I think you will absolutely hate changing height in the field with a fixed deck. The reason I purchased a floating deck was we have several little old ladies that want it cut 2" or 2 1/2" or 3" and having the floating deck takes less than 30 seconds to adjust.

5. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

C'mon, it ain't that hard to change the height... takes maybe 10 seconds per wheel. You just take off the wheel, pull off a spacer or two, put the wheel on again and you're done. There are a lot more things in life that are more complicated. I can easily do this with my eyes blindfolded.

6. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

I'm selling mine, wanna buy it. It is an 03 metro 36 fixed pistol with around 35 hours on it. I live about 4 hours from you.
    Matt

7. matthew horner

here she is:

Metro 4.jpg

8. matthew horner

its not a toy, how do i make this bigger??

9. smlavin

smlavin LawnSite Member

I run a 32" Metro with pistol grips for my accounts. I chose this mower because I thought I would always have use for a mower that could go through gates. A 36" is probably an excellent choice as well. I pull a sulky with mine - no problem. I haven't used ECS controls but I don't have a problem with the pistol grips - but I wear leather gloves because you can get your knuckles if you aren't careful around trees and corners of buildings.

I have never adjusted the rear of the deck. It didn't look too quick or easy to me. So I use the blade spaces or front spacers to make all the adjustments I have needed so far, but I don't cut northern grasses.

I think you will be very happy.

10. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

matthew horner, how much do you want for your walk behind?

lawnwizards.