probably have to buy a 36"...your opinion please

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, May 8, 2002.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

My exmark z is a great machine (hear that Hoss??) but I need something to hold some serious steep commercial accounts and some smaller residential ones....my 21" Honda just doesnt fit the bill...so...guess I have to spend more money...my #1 priority on this mower will be stability, and a good product at a good price...doesn't need bells and whistles or have to have "the perfect cut". From you who have used different brands and see what I'm looking for i'd appreciate your opinion...if you could throw a ballpark price in on your recommendation I'd appreciate that also...thanks in advance

2. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I own a Lazer Hp 52" and an Exmark Viking hydro 48" w/b. I mow some slopes that I wouldn't dare put the Z on. This is where my hydro w/b shines is on these slopes. I have owned belt drives and prefer hydro drive, worth the extra money, IMHO. I also owned a 36" w/b and didn't care for the lack of deck offset as compared to the 48". My Exmark 48" w/b was a demo, about $3500.00 3 yrs ago. I'm not sure what it would run now. My 36" was about $2500.00 (it was a trade in excellent cond.) I guess a belt drive would be fine if you are not going to use it much. The guys here who own belts could probally help you more with that. Good luck.

3. Harvestman

Harvestman LawnSite Member

I have a 36'' exmark belt drive and have been very pleased with it. I beleave the price was around $2500 last year. They offered two engine options and I went for the bigger of the Two. I ues it mostly to get through gates and on steep slopes, it has performed very well.

4. GarPA

from PA

TJLC & HARVESTMAN...thanks guys...well I washoping/wishing however unrealistically, I could get a 32 or 36 for around $2000 max...well thats probably wishful thinking if I want decent quality...going to have to chew on this for a bit...my wife says I have to stop spending money to make money...I really do need a smaller mower though...maybe a nice used one will fall into my lap

5. Esby33

Esby33 LawnSite Member

If you really want stability go for a larger deck than a 32 or 36. Look more towards a deck like a 48". They are much more stabile, and "stick" to the slopes better.

6. GarPA

from PA

esby33...you really want her to shoot me dont you??? I can see it all now...she says "well now you want to buy ANOTHER big mower, only 4" smaller than the Z you just bought....are you nuts or just been out in the sun too much"....and then I tell her why a 40 something like me needs a Z to ride and she'll tell me why I proably bought the wrong mower in the first place...being commercial mower stupid like I was a few months ago, I probably did buy more mower tham I need, given that I dont have alot of accounts that truly call for the productivity it can deliver...oh well I am where I am...have to figure out mower option 2 without ending up in the dog house...thanks guys...If I could find a strong 21" with big wheels I might go that way...the Troy Bilt looks ok buts its not commercial grade...do the big wheels help on slopes?

7. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Kitzy,

Look for a used Exmark metro 36" or a demo. you should be able to find one for less than 2k. Also check any local dealers for special rates on a 36" metro. some are selling them for 1999.00 for the kohler15hp metro 36".

Scot