probably just made a big mistake

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by superman, Dec 17, 2003.

1. superman

superman LawnSite Member

I probably should have known better but I just quoted a yard that is my neighbor and is an older lady. I have heard many here say never work for a neighbor. However it is hard for me to say no, when I don't even have to unload and will pick up $45 for 45 min to 1 hr worth of work. My other neighbor also a older lady has said that she would like me to do her yard also.

So how much troulbe am I going to be in next year??
  2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Only if you have a falling out will it get difficult. Give it a shot!
  3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Keep it a curteous business relationship and you will do fine.
    money is money, work is work.
    have fun.
  4. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I never had a problem. I have 40 accounts in the nieghborhood I used to live in. Just moved about a year ago. Many of those accounts I serviced for 8 years +.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know. I've never had any problems working for neighbors OR relatives. Granted, for relatives, it's like friends,... so there is lwys some sort of a discount there, but I really don't mind.
  6. Willmow4dough

Willmow4dough LawnSite Member

I don't have a problem working for my neighbors they love the idea that I am just down the road. But I can't stress enough that it is business and nothing else. As long as both parties understand that everthing should be ok.

Good Luck
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, mowing for neighbors can be great. Mowing for elderly people can at times be a real pita at times...though they usually pay their bills very promtly.
  8. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea I would say you made a mistake. Even as we speak a competitor is doing work for my neighbor that she begged me for the last few month to do. Just not worth the possible problems IMO.

I am have a blast watching the other guys get drenched doing her yard though! It is POURING here. :laugh:
  9. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I mow several neighbors, I love it.....
    I have one a business relationship with all and a very personal relationship with almost all. I have never had a problem and they are my fastest payers. (Cause I know where they live) Ha.
    I actuall give some a discount since it has raised our property prices about 20%. Good luck.
  10. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i hope you know where all your customers live....*LOL*