Probably losing an account today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ThreeWide, May 20, 2004.

1. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

My client has her house on the market, and is very tight with the budget. We've been mowing it every week of late.
    Now that the bermuda has starting growing faster here in the Atlanta area, she wants it mowed every 2 weeks.
    Looks like I'm going to be telling her to look elsewhere.

My reputation would look poor if someone used that lawn as an example of my work.

Am I being too arrogant?

2. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

No that is my philosophy as well. Plus you would kill your equipment cutting grass that high. It's just not worth it.
    Grass should be mowed when YOU think it needs to be mowed.

3. venecular

venecular LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Just keep mowing it but charge her more...

4. ThreeWide

She has budget problems...so charging more is not an option.

5. venecular

venecular LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Well, do you really need that yard. I have had customers do me the same way... they only call me when the grass is very tall, which requires more work if you are bagging and is harder on your equipment. I would personally look elsewhere.

Customers that seem to have a problem paying what for a service is worth are usually the ones that will complain over nothing. If her house is on the market, I would tell her that by you cutting it one per week will ensure a better manicured yard which will keep her house looking good.

Just my opinion

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Get paid for your work then tell them its on a pay as you go. They are selling!!!!! Dont get burned
    John

7. ThreeWide

Trust me...we are doing invoices based on what services are delivered each month. Since her house is on the market, the deal could end any time.

She is well aware of the advantages of having a sharp landscape with the house on the market. You have to be ready for a house showing at any time. If the yard hasn't been cut that week, there is strike one with the potential buyer.

I get the impression the house is being sold due to job loss or something similar. Keep in mind this is a $400,000 home in a high-end subdivision. She is basically between a rock and a hard place, knowing the lawn must be maintained but lacking the funds to pay for it.

My larger plan was to keep servicing this account with hopes that the new owner would want me to continue based on the condition of the landscape. But the appearance of that lawn with mowing every two weeks isn't going to impress anyone.

The yard looked like crap before I started service a few months ago. It looks good now, but it appears my work could be going to waste.

8. Rollacosta

Rollacosta LawnSite Senior Member

keep at it for a few weeks .and pray for a quick house sale,hopefully you'll keep the account ..shame to let all that hard work go to someone else

9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Every week or nothing. You are right to move on if she doesn't understand your reasoning. Selling a 400K house will generate some income to pay you but make sure you know your legal outs (leins ect.) if you get stiffed.

Your way is right, stick with it or kindly move on. Good Luck

10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Like i said DONT GET BURNED

John