1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Probelms With Watts 009

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by mcw615, Sep 23, 2009.

1. mcw615

mcw615 LawnSite Senior Member

A customer has a Watts 009 backflow preventer. When I turned on the system (hasn't been done this year) after water filled all the pipes, it started to shoot a little stream out of what I believe is called the water outlet/relief?? *center bottom thing on this picture below.

http://www.watts.com/prod_images/hi-res/default.asp?imgId=895

I undid the 4 bolts and took out the center thing, and the o-rings and things are not torn. Any suggestions on how to fix this. I don't have much experience in repairing B.F.P.

Thanks

2. M L Thomas

M L Thomas LawnSite Member
    from SW Ohio

Replace it with a FEBCO 825.

We do not repair Watts 009's. We will only replace them due to the difficulties with getting them to stop dripping from the relief valve. If a customer wants one repaired we advise them to contact their plumber as our plumber will no longer try to repair them either. Half the repairs would start dripping again after 1-2 weeks.

They seem to hold up better when they are:
    A: Under constant pressure year round
    B: Inside

In 23 years we only ever installed 1 009, and had to eat the cost of replacing it after it needing repairs the first 2 years it was up. In our area all contractors have quit using them due to problems and are installing either FEBCO 825's or Wilkins 975's.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I've had generally good luck with Febco 825's, even though I could stand to do without having to disassemble the thing come winterizing time.

4. mcw615

so are you saying you have had this problem before and just started to replace the whole unit??

5. Wet_Boots

I have one site with an 009 that drips every springtime, when the system is opened, and the dripping stops within a week or two. Definite freeze victim. Cheapskate owner is happy with the temporary drip.

6. mcw615

this is not a drip... the two valves are positioned at the top so it's a constant stream that shoots out about 3-5 feet

7. Wet_Boots

Water exiting from the top is another matter. Not related to the relief valve.

8. mcw615

In the picture, it shows the two valves positioned on the right side with the hole on the bottom.. the way the system is set up at the customers, the two valves are at the top and the hole is to the right therefore it shoots out further vs. 12" from the ground.

It seems there is not enough pressure in the spring to keep it shut.. but I have no idea

9. Wet_Boots

I would only mount an 009 as in the photo. Testcocks pointing straight up. Figure that it is freeze-damaged, and work from there. RPZ parts are expensive, and Watts are maybe the most expensive of all.

10. M L Thomas

M L Thomas LawnSite Member
    from SW Ohio

Why do you disassemble them?