Problem after a PM

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by jsala, Jul 5, 2003.

1. jsala

jsala LawnSite Member

I am a home user of an Lazer HP 48 with a Kaw 19. After about two years of use I had approximately 150 hours. My orignal dealer went out of business, so I used Exmarks site to find another "new" dealer for service. I wanted to get a striping kit and mulching kit, so I went ahead and had them replace the oil and hydro and put in new filters when they installed the kits. Since that PM I have had a limted but disturbing problem with one of the wheel motors. I now get a clattering and loss of power from my left side motor if I am going up hill (seems to be specific to the angle). I say loss of power because I can't keep the unit going straight when this happens. This doesn't happen all the time, but when it happens, it is almost always in the same places in my yard. I have checked the levels everything is OK. Did my new dealer screw something up or something else at play here?

2. Brieldo

Brieldo LawnSite Member

Perhaps you have air in the system. Take it back to the dealer and have htem make it right...

3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Jsala,

I'm guessing that the unit pulls to the right when this begins to happen.

More than likely your experiencing belt slippage at the pump drive belt. The most common cause for this is lack of lubrication at the belt tensioning idler pivot. Once in a while we can over tighten one at the factory but that usually shows up in the first 20-30 hours or so. You can try to grease the pivot heavily and then work the idler back and forth by hand to loosen it up a bit. Generally however once it starts to act up we usually find rust and corrosion in the pivot and the idler muxt be removed, cleaned and re-installed. If you find that the problem is slippage I would also replace the belt at this time as well. The slippage creates heat in the belt which glazes the surface, causes excessive cracks and weakens the belt.

You can perform the inspection and repair yourself but it's not the easiest repair you'll ever do. You may want to have the unit inspected by the dealer.

It's a little difficult to describe the whole process in type but please feel free to call me at 1-800-667-5296 and I'll be more than happy to explain both the lubrication as well as the removal, cleaning and re-installation process.

Thanks

Terry

4. jsala

jsala LawnSite Member

Thanks Terry... I may take you up on the phone assistance after I look at the belt setup. On your comment about pulling right, actually, it tracks to the left, but this always happens when I am going uphill diagnally from right to left, so the natural tendency (I think) if the left motor slips would be the right motor pushing the unit to the left (down hill). I was suspisious of the dealer because I had NEVER experienced anything even remotely like this in the 2+ years I had the unit. However, I did have the PM done early in the season, so maybe this is the result of it sitting over the LONG Pennsylvania winter we had. I sure does make a racket when this happenes though. Thanks again for the advice.

5. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Jsla,

I still suspect the pump drive idler. Just to be safe I would have it taken in and have it looked at. I'd rather head it off early than to find out it's something more serious and more costly.

Thanks

Terry