1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Problem area next to street.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by cpa4t9r, Jun 4, 2008.

1. cpa4t9r

cpa4t9r LawnSite Member

My weakest area of lawn is the frontage from the edge of the street to ~3 feet in. After that there is a gradual slope into my relatively smooth/gentle ditch. Asphalt with no curb/gutter.

Have finally gotten most of the last remnants of common bermuda beaten back through the annual rite of roundup....I HOPE :hammerhead:. There are some clumps of fescue but it is mainly hard pack.

FYI I do have an irrigation system that I use appropriately.

My plan is to till to loosen up the clay and amend the soil as per soil test results - most likely lime, gypsum and good topsoil w/organic compost to build a good seed bed.

Any feedback suggestions? (Transition zone 7, clay soil, TTTF/KBG)

Many of my neighbors have the same issues but others have lush turf right the edge of the road. Does the heat from the road have any impact? Anyboday else have similar issues or dealt with and could recommend any strategies would be greatly appreciated.
  2. KstateCutter

KstateCutter LawnSite Member

I had a lawn with similar problems. it took me a long time to figure out the problem. My house sat across the street from a couldesac. When it would snow the plow would circle into the couldesac and push all the snow up to the curb of my client's house. The salt would get into the grass and kill it. Don't know if this is your problem but without a curb it might be something to think about.