Problem area on very low budget

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by WalkGood, Aug 12, 2007.

1. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

This is not going be "by the book" or pretty.

Went on a service call yesterday, ticket said to move a head. I get there and it's a bit more than that.

Home is a "group home" for 8 or so Down Syndrome kids. They recently added a small swimming pool and some new hydrangeas and arborvitaes. Existing sprinklers are a hodge podge, has some pgp mixed with mists on same zones.

Budget is extremely limited. Controller is maxed (6 zone). Water pressure is observed as very good with existing pgps.

I already moved the PGP that was inside the fenced pool area and put it outside. Also removed the PGP in new bed area "ii".

Not sure what to do with the grass area in the middle. The one PGP (#7 nozzle) hits the corner of the house. The new beds area behind it and on side of it, of course have nothing irrigating them.

Did I mention the budget for this group home is extremely limited?

I could just change that pgp to a few 360* mist located in the grass area, and hit everything including the beds.

Any other ideas, remembering the low low budget. No new controller, no new zones. They just want to keep the grass and shrubs alive and all done by the auto sprinkler system. Up to now they have been watering the new plantings with a hose.

ProblemArea.jpg

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Run away!

If they dont have the money to do it right, you dont want your name on it.

3. Rainman7

Rainman7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

It doesn't seem that their budget is that low...they did a pool and landscaping, right? Or did the budget get low when it came time for irrigation. Just tell them what they need to get the job done right and keep their investment alive. Who will be responsible when the shrubs die and the landscaper blames it on the water?

4. I don't know walkgood. I'm sure you could centrally locate the pgps for max coverage. Refer them to some highballers (1500/zone types) and your price to do it right may suddenly seem like a bargain.

5. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Many times moving a couple of heads does the trick while at other times a zone has to be completely renovated. Too many questions remain without actually being on the property but if they can't afford to do it right then perhaps it's time to pull hoses until such time they can afford the renovation.

6. By the way on the matched precip pgp thing. I went to a seminar put on by a CO water authority auditor. He said he laid out some pgps according to specs and for matched precip. Did the cup test and was coming up short in the corners. So he changed the corners to the same as the halves and his bucket test evened out across the yard. Go figure. I generally oversize my Qs a little since they tend to be in the hotter parts of the yard.

7. Rainman7

Rainman7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

8. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto. :clapping:

You could do the job pro bono and use it as a write off.