1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Problem Driving My ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowgli, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Mowgli

Mowgli LawnSite Member

I just bought my scag tiger cub 48'' ZTR last year. I like the way it cuts and everything. My problem is that, everytime i make the u-turn, the big wheel tairing up the lawn. So now i have to make a wide-turn or back up like a tractor before i turn. I was thinking to myself, a ZTR is not really ZTR if i have to make a turn like a tractor. Why did i pay 6 G for it if i can't turn it the way it should be(zero-turn).
    What did i do wrong. Can anyone tell me the proper ways to drive this thing. Turning it too fast,Maybe?
  2. plateau lawn care

plateau lawn care LawnSite Member
    from georgia

just wondering are you pushing one forward and one back to make one tire go forward and one go backward when you get to the end of the line
  3. Mowgli

Mowgli LawnSite Member

I think that's what i did. Do i have to do more or do less?
  4. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

You might want to try to slow down some before going into a turn. We have two Scag Tiger Cubs also, it just take a little time and try to keep both wheels spinning in the turns. When one wheel locks up turf damage occurs. Hope these tip help, you will get the hang of it just start our slow.
  5. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

Most of the time I make a quick "Y" turn. It's easier on the turf and I believe it does not take much more time and I keep my customers happy.

6. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

It took me several hours on my ZTR to get down how to turn. What finally worked well for me was when I came to the end of the row, I would start turning slowly, after I got around 45 degrees I would then take my inside tire (the tire that would do the damage) and reverse it, once I started to get aligned with my next row, I would then have the inside tire go forward and away I go. This is called counter-rotating. I have had very little problem w/ turf damage w/ my 260Z. In fact, I went several months on my same lines and had no damage at a softball complex I do.
  7. plateau lawn care

plateau lawn care LawnSite Member
    from georgia

You are probly going a little to fast also
  8. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

sometimes it can be as simple as air pressure ,make sure tire pressure is at company specks also if you have the deck cutting hight set real low 2inches or so sometimes you need to raise the deck before turning ,cause the deck wheels don't pivot and they can tear up turf to
  9. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

what you are going to have to do is a 3 point turn or a Y turn. It will be hard to do a true zero turn. The trick is to keep the insied tire moving. I cant do it on my 737 but can do a true zero turn with my H/D lesco w/b