Problem, I think!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jason r., Nov 14, 2002.

1. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a Snapper Hydro Drive rear engine rider I use as a back up mower. Tonight I installed a bagger on it and tested it out in the back yard. Seemed to cut and bag OK but when I got off to check out how many leaves it picked up I noticed the muffler pipe was RED hot. It was actually glowing red from the heat. I've never noticed this when mowing during daylight hours. Do you think it just showed up more because it was dark out? Is this normal? Has this happened to any one else with a similar machine Out of curiosity, I got out my exmark lazer and drove it around and it didn't do the same thing. The muffler pipe didn't glow red from the heat it just ,of course, got hot but stayed the same color. Will be calling the dealer tomorrow, I was just interested to know if anybody else experienced this before.

2. wilawns

wilawns LawnSite Member

i had the same thing happen with my exmark metro 48" wb. Never realized it till it got a little dark one when i was finishing up a lawn. id assume its normal.

3. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

Don't worry about it, it's fine.

4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Oh yah! That's all normal stuff. A little later in the night demons will start flying out of that red hot muffler too. Those are also normal. And even later you'll notice the tires smoking. The engine will start jumping up and down like a gangsta in a low-rider at a stop light and the blade will start spinning so fast it will actually start sucking in small mammals. This is all normal stuff. Don't worry about it.

5. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

I must just be a worry wart. I'd rather ask ,first, than catch on fire or somthing! I used it again this morning and it worked fine.

6. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Jim

You slay me man! :p

I have heard of leaf fires from riders in the leaves...maybe it was them demons! I might ask a few questions of the dealer just for fun...

Jay