problem lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by awm, Sep 9, 2001.

1. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i have this customer that really goes the exstra mile to have a good lawn. fescue turf mix ,ph is correct ,uses turfbuilder,and
    has nice lawn. until hot months of july august. then its brown at the base and gets worse unless a lot of moisture comes.
    problem is i do his neighbor,who really puts the minumum into
    her lawn. never looks as good as former ,except in real hot weather. then hers looks alright while the one who works at it
    watches. along with me. the poorly taken care of lawn was planted right after the grader got thru about 10 yrs ago
    so i cant figure it. thinking about over seeding with a different grass to get a better lawn. in the past its been rebel and
    sun shade mixes. the neighbors is same grass . this is carolina climate so ill appreciate any ideas.later TM

2. Check the soil texture. Also what is the deal with shade vs. sun?

3. It sounds as though you have a problem with a sandy soil.

4. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like a shallow root system on the one that does all the work. Alot of people put work into the top of the grass but not the roots, if you dont have good deep roots it'll dry out like you stated in your post.

Leave off the nitrogen and go with some 0-24-24 then water deep only once per week. Dont forget to airerate. but remember it'll take a while to get it right.

Soil test also!!

jim

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

thanks for the ideas . ill sooner or later get this man the lawn
    he wants. real good most time but that one weakness.
    by the way there is a shade tree problem but the worst affected areas are in 3/4 sun,pretty far from the trees. again thanks

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like the perfect example of why natural lawns make it better in stressful situations. The lawn adapts to the situation and survives. His lawn is chemically induced to perform but is not as strong.

7. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Complete soil test, with CEC results also. Try aeravation on the hard non-sandy soil and you will be pleased! Give me a call and we can talk.

Ray