problem picking up leaves w/ exmark lazer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Metz, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Metz

Metz LawnSite Member

so the leaves are starting to fall and i'm having trouble picking them up w/ my z. 15% of the leaves blow out from underneath the deck by the vaccum. so i'm cutting a yard 3-4 times to pick up all the leaves, and they really haven't got bad yet. anybody have this problem?
    i thought maybe there was just too much space between the deck and ground, but i've lowered it to 2.5" on some yards and still have this problem. any help?

2. MOTES

MOTES LawnSite Member

I guessing that you are using leaf vac on your exmark, Seem to me that you got your blades running, which is correct, but they are fanning the leaf away from your deck, If lowering the deck don't change much, then try raiseing. Also, maybe try different blades, if you have hi lift blades , they could be really fanning the leaf away. These are my opinion. Hope this help. If leaf must be remove from yard, I usally mow twice in every rows, and all blowing in one direction. then rake all up at end and put on tarp. Fast and Clean.

3. The Cutting Edge Lawn Car

The Cutting Edge Lawn Car LawnSite Member

My 757 deere does that once in a while too but its just because the bagger itself is clogged... I guess just make sure theres nothing blocking it from gettin from the deck to the bags....I also have the high lift blades and that works very well with fall cleanup

4. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same problem with my Lazer HP. To be honest I am starting to think it is not the mower but the vac itself. The HP Vac's are smaller than the full size lazer's from the housing and the outlet tube. My full size lazer I do not have this problem with at all. Sucks up leaves great with little blowout.

5. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Seems all lazer z hp's have this trouble.
    What I have done to help with the problem with what you are talking about is I put 2 gator mulching blades and at the discharge use a low lift blade, or a exmark wavy ~~ mulching blade.. You will not have to chase the blowouts around anymore.
    There is a blowout baffle that you put at the discharge to the middle blade that extends the length of the deck inside down a little further.

6. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

It pains me to say this but, slow down. I got the XS 31hp triton deck and I have to slow down to suck them all up. If you mow at normal speed and there are a decent amout of leaves you have to move at 1/4 speed. It sucks!

Brand new, this year, only 350ish hours on it and I'm parking it next week and breaking out the old 1600hr ultra cut lazer for final mowings and cleanups. I hate the front baffles that contour the blades. I dont understad why you want grass from the trim side going into the middle of the center blade then that grass from both blades going into the center of the discarge blade. That last blade gets hit by 60" of grass all day. Atleat with the ultracut deck it shot up front and channeled alont the front of deck and into the ultravac.

Just slow down some.

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I don't use a bagger but my Ultra Cut doesn't leave anything on the ground behind it. Maybe the bagger does slow the airflow down or something. I have no experience with the Triton deck but the Ultracut with high lifts will suck worms out of the ground as one guy put it. I loose a lot of lift with mulching blades such as gators though. So with mulching blades I would probably miss a few.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That's what I am thinking. With the HP, you are only looking at 2 bags, which is alot less surface area to breathe. Make sure the bags are clean and breathing properly. Another thing, is that you MAY have to look into making yourself an anti blowout flap of baffle. This has been done successfully by many members using such materials as plastic floor kickboard molding, rubber roof sheeting, and other materals.

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

When the bagger is getting full, it will build up more presure in the deck and yiou will get more blowout.

Make sure your deck is lower in the front then in the rear.|

Anti blowout baffle is a must

gator type blades or solid lift blades.

Make sure your screen in the baggers hood is VERY CLEAN!!!(Carrie a stiff brush with you to clean it).

Make sure the belt tension is correct to the blower.

10. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

The highest pressure under a mower deck is an area between the first and second blades.

The ways to prevent blow out will vary from deck to deck but a blow out baffle is the best. Another way is to use lower lift blades to reduce the deck pressure while running at full rpms.

Mower decks must always be set with the blades at .125" to .250" forward rake. Before checking the blade rake, check the tire pressure recommended in the owner's manual. If the tire pressure is off the blade rake could be off.

Oldtimer