Lawn Care Forum banner

Problem Starting A Wright Stander

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Natural Impressions 
#1 ·
I have a wright stander and it's only a few months old with less than 50 hours on it. Today I went to start it and it wouldn't turn over it acted like the battery was dead or the brake was off, but I checked both and neither was the problem. Does anyone have any idea on what might be the problem?

#2 ·
Your starter might be fried. Or, there could be a an electrical short in your wiring or even a wiring harness might not be seated properly. If you are unable to narrow it down to those possible culprits, I'd bring that puppy into the dealer where you purchased it, first thing tomorrow morning. Warranty ought to have you covered.

If you take it to a different Wright dealer for service, other than the one where it was purchased, then there's a big chance that they will be reluctant or perhaps refuse to service your mower. This is because the manufacturers don't pay their dealers 'SQUAT' for warranty work. So, if this is the case for you, then get ready to beg.

#3 ·
Your starter might be fried. Or, there could be a an electrical short in your wiring or even a wiring harness might not be seated properly. If you are unable to narrow it down to those possible culprits, I'd bring that puppy into the dealer where you purchased it, first thing tomorrow morning. Warranty ought to have you covered.

If you take it to a different Wright dealer for service, other than the one where it was purchased, then there's a big chance that they will be reluctant or perhaps refuse to service your mower. This is because the manufacturers don't pay their dealers 'SQUAT' for warranty work. So, if this is the case for you, then get ready to beg.
I bought the machine second hand so I don't believe it's under warranty. I was hoping to find the problem before I have to take it to the dealer. The nearest dealer is over 200 miles away.

#4 ·
Then, what you need to do is either contact who you purchased it from second hand, and see if they will help you out with getting it repaired, or you can also post in Wright Mfg.'s Sponsored Forum, here on LawnSite, where those folks may be so kind to help you regardless of the warranty, and especially b/c the machine has such low hours. Sure can't hurt to ask.

Give those options a try.

#5 ·
Maybe I can help we have one with Kaw engine. I usually start by taking a screwdrive and shorting across the starter relay to see if unit will start. Essentually all you are doing is putting 12 volts on the starter. That eliminates the starter and battery. Then that leaves starter relay and switch and grounding. Now I am assuming all the interlocks are working....should have said check those first. Mine has two one actuated by the brake and one on the pad where you stand. The brake onesometime don't actuate and has to be manually actuated.

#6 ·
Then, what you need to do is either contact who you purchased it from second hand, and see if they will help you out with getting it repaired, or you can also post in Wright Mfg.'s Sponsored Forum, here on LawnSite, where those folks may be so kind to help you regardless of the warranty, and especially b/c the machine has such low hours. Sure can't hurt to ask.

Give those options a try.
I will give the wright forum a try. I am hoping it is something simple like the safety switch on the brake, but I wasn't sure how to bypass it to see if that is the problem. Thank You for the help.

#7 ·
I will give the wright forum a try. I am hoping it is something simple like the safety switch on the brake, but I wasn't sure how to bypass it to see if that is the problem. Thank You for the help.
You're welcome. Do know this, your problem with the mower doesn't sound serious at all. Don't lose faith in that machine, because I can attest that they are built like tanks and are very reliable.

Ed2Hess that also replied to your post is also a Wright mower guru.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

#9 ·
Maybe I can help we have one with Kaw engine. I usually start by taking a screwdrive and shorting across the starter relay to see if unit will start. Essentually all you are doing is putting 12 volts on the starter. That eliminates the starter and battery. Then that leaves starter relay and switch and grounding. Now I am assuming all the interlocks are working....should have said check those first. Mine has two one actuated by the brake and one on the pad where you stand. The brake onesometime don't actuate and has to be manually actuated.
I will give it a try in the morning maybe that will get it started so I can use it tomorrow. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.