Problem starting on cool mornings

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by AllPro, Jan 3, 2005.

1. AllPro

AllPro LawnSite Member

I've got an examrk that doesn't want to start on cool/cold mornings (40 degrees). It turns over real slow, not fast enough to start. I've changed the battery with a Walmart brand battery and initially it worked, but not it doesn't. I've charged the battery to 13.2 volts and it still doesn't spin fast enough to start. One of my guysthink the problem is the starter, but I have jump started the mower and after it warms up, it will restart normally. Currently I run with 30wt oil, but I think I'll try 10-30 and see if that doesn't help.
    Any suggestions?

2. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

What's on it for a motor? Kawi goes with 30w normally...but go to 10W30 for the cold. Most Koehlers run better with the 10W30 in all weather. Their lifters like the 10W30 better.

3. AllPro

AllPro LawnSite Member

I should have mentioned that before - Kaswaski 19hp

4. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

I have all kawi's and 1 Koehler. The Kawi's are 14's and 17's. The Koehler is a 20. We finish for the season, up here, around Thanksgiving. Then I go DOWN THERE! Daytona Beach! Leave here when it is 20 degrees and arrived there to 80 degrees. My BODY doesn't want to move at 20 degrees, never mind the motors on the mowers! Definitely go with the different viscosity on the oil, you WILL notice a difference. Of course, if the starter motor is on it's way out............

5. Joe B J

Joe B J LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

What size (CCA) battery do you hve on the mower?

6. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Load test battery to make sure it doesnt have any bad cells. Voltage may be OK, but the cranking amps may be too low. Check the charging system also. If all that checks out, replace the starter or have it rebuilt.

7. AllPro

AllPro LawnSite Member

CCA is 325.
    I've gone over the charging system and everything appears okay, however, there is a small (20awg to 22awg) ground wire that runs from the engin to the frame. This was a used machine (700 hours) when I got it and my understanding is there was a grounding problem and this wire was added which fixed whatever problem there was. I cleaned up the connection and plan to install a larger wire just in case this wire actually does something.
    I've changed the oil to 10-30 and it did spin easier, but my battery was just about dead it couldn't crank it up. I have a charger on it now and plan to turn the key in the morning. Wish me luck.

8. cgotro2

cgotro2 LawnSite Member

Get someone to load the battery for you.It can show over 12 volts and the charging system maybe good and it will show full charged. The battery may not hold up under load. Takes about 30 seconds to check. You may want to kick the cca's on your battery. The battery will cost you a little more but you'll have plenty of starting power. The old saying is "you get what you pay for".Good Luck

9. rockytopp

rockytopp LawnSite Member

Does it have a compresion release? if so is it working properly? You could us an amp draw meter to see what the starter is drawing when starting.
    My guess is the starter is going out , even a weak starter will function if you give it enough juice. Good luck.

10. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

i would go with the cheapest first. and that would be to use a thinner oil. but the way you describe it i bet its electrical.