Problem w/ Super Z - 25HP Kawasaki

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by force350z, May 22, 2004.

1. force350z

force350z LawnSite Member
    from nj

My Super Z w/ 25 Kawasaki engine shuts off while mowing or during transport. It feels like it's running out of gas but the tanks are almost full. It seems as if it is from anything that puts strain on the engine, tall grass, full speed, etc. After the mower shuts off it will start again and work properly for a few minutes then slowly die, unless the blade is shut off and throttle is lowered.

This machine is brand new I've only put 55 hours on it. Yesterday the clutch was replaced becuase it burned out. This problem just occured after the clutch was replaced.

I was wondering if this is a common problem or has anyone experienced this before?

I'm very happy with the machine performance wise but these mechanical problems are causing unnecessary downtime.

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Hmmmm.....
    Seeing as this is happening after the clutch was replaced I would assume it to be electrical, but without having the unit in front of me it is hard to diagnose.
    It also sounds like it could be a fuel starvation issue.
    I am responding to this here Monday @ 12:15 pm and you posted this Saturday, if you did not get it to your dealer yet please do or call our- customer service department ASAP 1-800-395-4757, we will get this taken care of for you.

Pj

3. force350z

from nj

Thanks mowerconsultant for your reply.

No I haven't talk to my dealer yet but I will call your customer service center for their suggestions.

Like I said before I like the performance of the Super Z that's why I went and bought a second Super Z with the same engine and deck size. I hope the newest machine will not give me the same unnecessary downtime and problem.

4. force350z

from nj

I forgot to mention to you that the problem starts to happen when the mowers is cutting/operating for an hour or so. After I let it sit/cool down for sometime(10 mins or so) it'll start and run again just fine for a little bit then it'll shut off again. Does it seems to you that the engine is overheating?

So far my other Super Z is performing just fine.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

5. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Ignition module or coil problem would be my guess.

6. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I dont know about overheating, if the screen on the top of the engine is clean and the cylinder fins are not plugged with grass it should never overheat, plus only having 55 hours on the unit, it should not have any grass in the cooling fins.
    With what you have just explained, I would have your dealer look into the coils, and or coil, as there are 2 used in that unit and the likeliness that both are bad is slim.

Pj

7. force350z

from nj

My dealer found the fuel filter as the problem apparrently it has a manufacturing defect, it was replaced and it's now working flawlessly.

Thanks for your advices.