problem with 15hp Kawasaki an Metro

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Lawn Dog2001, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am having some problems with the 15hp vtwin kawasaki engine on my Metrohp. When the mower first starts up it runs like **** for about the first two minutes of use. It runs very loud and gives off kind of smell. It seems to run at a lower Rpm also. After about 2 minutes of use the engine kicks in and runs perfect as if nothing were wrong. It runs badly for the first minute or two every time I start it. Once it kicks in though I have no problems. I have cleaned the air filter and air screen. I have replaced the fuel filter, oil filter, and spark plugs. The mower is about 1 1/2 old.

Do you have any idea what the problem could be? What else can I try before taking it into the dealer? Do you think it could be bad gas?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Lawn Dog,

Sorry for the delay in responding.

I'm not the worlds foremost expert on engines but I can tell you that the most common complaints we have with the 15 Kaw relate to the choke adjustment. Does your Metro HP have a choke and throttle cable or choke/throttle cable on the same control. If they are both on the same control I'd look at that the choke adjustment first. On this engine in particular (17 kaw as well) this adjustment needs to be perfect. I'm not overly concerned since the problem goes away once the engine warms up but I would recommend that you take it to your dealer and have a qualified technician take a look at it.

Thanks

Terry