problem with 21" mower

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by EliteImpressions, Jul 2, 2008.

1. EliteImpressions

EliteImpressions LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

I have a mower with a honda engine that was used about 3 times a week for 3 years. Before the problem this mower would start on one pull everytime.

I used it for one lawn and it was fine but when I got to the next it would backfire once and thats it. If I tried to pull the cord right away it would act like it was already started (the cord would pull very easy with no resistance) Any tips would be appreciated.

2. S DIAMOND

S DIAMOND LawnSite Member
    from South

Look at the valve cover. Is it dented in by chance? Did you run into an object that made contact with the valve cover? :walking:

3. S DIAMOND

from South

If it is dented in, then it is possible that one of the valves could be held slightly opened. I have seen this more than once.

4. EliteImpressions

from Jersey

Yes,

It is dented in. How do I go about repairing that or is that for a professional to do.

5. S DIAMOND

from South

Drain fuel and oil (for less mess). Tip mower up so you can access it easier (follow universal precautions when working; unplug the spark plug boot etc.) then remove the cover. Gently tap out the dent from the other side.

Examine the valve assembly and make sure everything is OK.

Now, you will have to clean the old RTV sealant off completely and make sure you don't get any into the mower. You'll need Honda bond or an equivalent RTV sealant to reapply and let it cure overnight for best results. Follow the directions. It's really easy.:) Hope this helps some.

6. S DIAMOND

from South

You didn't post any engine numbers, so I'm assuming you are speaking of a GCV model and not a GXV model? The difference will only be gasket material, I'm pretty sure. GCV will be RTV and GXV will usually be (example) a cork, rubber,or fiber gasket.

7. EliteImpressions

from Jersey

S Diamond,

Thanks for the help. Ill give it a shot tonight.

8. EliteImpressions

from Jersey

S Diamond,

I removed the cover and taped out the dent. I looked at the assembly and it looks intact but Im not really sure what I should be looking at. I put the sealant and let it cure but its still not working. Heres a pic if this helps any.

Thanks
    Joe

0710082147.jpg

9. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you've got a valve issue there. Remove the spark plug, get a set if feeler gauges and check the valve/push rod gap. It is straight forward to do. Rotate the engine slowly to check the gaps. I would imagine one of the valves has no gap due to the impact on the cover. If it didn't stop when you were using it, it may have been damaged whilst in transit in your van. You're looking for a gap between the the push rod and the rocker. Check the manufacturers site, but to give you and idea the gaps should be in the region of 8 to 12 thou.
    Don't be intimidated by this, it's a straight forward job to do.
    Good luck, Phil :)

10. EliteImpressions

from Jersey

I didnt get a guage but I did pull the cord and watced the valves go. They both appear to be the same distance and work in the same fashion. The dent was on the right side so I made sure the right valve was working the same as the left. Still no luck. Im going to try the spark plug and if that doest work, Ill send it to the dealer.

Thanks